Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I'm ready to give up :-(

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:04 PM
  • 30 Replies
So DD will be three weeks old tomorrow. These three weeks have been hell trying to get her to nurse. By 3 days old she had my nipples so cracked at bloody they looked like ground beef and was throwing up blood. Started with a nipple shield because I was crying and screaming through nursing her because of the pain. Well my nipples are 99% healed now and she won't latch well. Not that she ever did. We have seen 5 LCs total, 3 ibclcs. She's causing me so much pain even with the shield because she doesn't suck well. She just gnaws, chews, and bites the nipple. I'm at my wits end with this and I don't know what else to do. Basically at the end of the day every LC told me I was on my own. I want to be able to nurse her so bad I'm crying even thinking about quitting. It shouldn't be THIS hard. It's not fair :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Debbieplus1
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:08 PM
And LCs are concerned with her weight because she was born at 7 lb 4 oz and lowest documented weight was at 2 days old at 6lb 10 oz and she was 7 even today.
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Has she been checked for a tongue or lip tie? That sounds like what I went through when I first started nursing my youngest. He had my nipples destroyed within a couple of days. 

bebe_ju-rah
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Definitely check for a tongue/lip tie!
Debbieplus1
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Yes all of the LCs and her pedi agree that there is absolutely no lip or tongue tie :(

Quoting jjchick75:

Has she been checked for a tongue or lip tie? That sounds like what I went through when I first started nursing my youngest. He had my nipples destroyed within a couple of days. 

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:13 PM

How many diapers is she producing a day? Wet and dirty 

paknari
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Have you thought about pumping, at least for a little while? I know it's not the same but at least your baby is getting the benefits from the breastmilk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Debbieplus1
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Her diapers are good, she went through ten yesterday 5 of which were massive blow out poops.

Quoting stepconfused182:

How many diapers is she producing a day? Wet and dirty 

Debbieplus1
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:16 PM
I've thought about it but one breast does not respond to the pump at all and the other gets maybe 1-2 oz. which I understand is normal amount but its just frustrating :(

Quoting paknari:

Have you thought about pumping, at least for a little while? I know it's not the same but at least your baby is getting the benefits from the breastmilk.
mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I have nothing sweetie but I wish I could make it better. Was she checked for a high palate ? Her latch can't be right if it is that painful. I wish I. Could come help you hands on figure it out.....

BabyFruit Ticker

Debbieplus1
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:19 PM
I have no idea what that is, but when she does latch well she makes this clicking sound when she tries to suck that then breaks the suction and makes her back out onto the tip of the nipple which is insanely painful. Something is clearly wrong but no one can seem to figure exactly what that is :(

Quoting mamabens:

I have nothing sweetie but I wish I could make it better. Was she checked for a high palate ? Her latch can't be right if it is that painful. I wish I. Could come help you hands on figure it out.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)