Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Researching breastfeeding... A few questions...

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:29 AM
  • 11 Replies
  1. How much breast milk should a baby eat per feeding?
  2. Is there a chart?
  3. Your favorite pump? (Have to go back to work soon after baby is born)
  4. Is there a chart for diapers?
  5. Is there a chart for storing breast milk?

I am trying to get a jump on everything and figure out what I need to get for the baby... I learn by seeing things which is why I asked for charts but any advice is greatly appreciated

Angel baby 12/22/12 lost at 5w2d

BabyFetus Ticker

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadieJames
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:34 AM

1) whatever they take from the breast.  While separate 1-1.25 oz per hour in 2-3 oz bottles every 2-3 hours.  

2) chart for what?

3) I have a Lansinoh Affinity and it works well but I only pump 2x a day.  Recommended is Hygeia and Ameda which are both closed systems. A medela is an open system and mold *can* theoretically get into the milk.

4) one a day for the first week (1 on day one, 2 on day two etc).  After that 6/day.  Very wet ( more than 3-4 tablespoons of liquid) or poop bigger than a quarter count as two. Pour 3-4 tbsp of water into a dipe so you know how heavy one is considered.

5) yes.  On kellymom.com just google "breastmilk storage kellymom) and it will come up 

hope that helps : )

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Quoting countrybaby89:

1. How much breast milk should a baby eat per feeding?

If you're feeding at the breast, there's no way to measure. **grin** But for bottle feeding, servings of 2-3 ounces. 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour of separation. And those are permanent numbers; they NEVER change.

1. Is there a chart?

No need. 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour of separation. 2-3 ounce servings (4 at the VERY outside), forever! It doesn't ever change.

1. Your favorite pump? (Have to go back to work soon after baby is born)

For back to work... Ameda Purely Yours, Hygeia Enjoye, Medela "Style" models.

1. Is there a chart for diapers?

Can't recall seeing one, but this is easy. One change per day of life in week one. 6-8 changes per day after that.

1. Is there a chart for storing breast milk?

Yes. That's here: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/milkstorage/

I am trying to get a jump on everything and figure out what I need to get for the baby... I learn by seeing things which is why I asked for charts but any advice is greatly appreciated

SadieJames
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Good stuff for your research:

The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding 

So That's What They're For

Kellymom.com

this group!

and a La Leche League meeting

polkaspots
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:21 AM
Please don't forget that breastfeeding does suck for 99% of women for the first few weeks, but it gets so much easier after your nipples heal up. I know that's completely irrelevant to your post but I find it to be quite important anyway because the beginning is the most stressful part. Baby will (most likely) nurse 15 times a day for decent stretches of time. As long as baby is having enough diapers, you're fine. Enjoy your nursing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Here's a link to a chart you can print out for the first week to keep track of minimum diapers and to encourage frequent nursing. I found it very helpful with both my babies during that first week when lack of sleep and a tired body made everything go by in a blur!

http://www.kellymom.com/store/freehandouts/breastfeeding-log-2wk.pdf

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:24 AM
I'm pretty sure that your lansinoh pump is the same as the ameda.

Quoting SadieJames:

1) whatever they take from the breast.  While separate 1-1.25 oz per hour in 2-3 oz bottles every 2-3 hours.  

2) chart for what?

3) I have a Lansinoh Affinity and it works well but I only pump 2x a day.  Recommended is Hygeia and Ameda which are both closed systems. A medela is an open system and mold *can* theoretically get into the milk.

4) one a day for the first week (1 on day one, 2 on day two etc).  After that 6/day.  Very wet ( more than 3-4 tablespoons of liquid) or poop bigger than a quarter count as two. Pour 3-4 tbsp of water into a dipe so you know how heavy one is considered.

5) yes.  On kellymom.com just google "breastmilk storage kellymom) and it will come up 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:28 AM

I thought so.  I bought it at Walmart since there is nowhere here to buy one and I had dd early so I didn't order one yet.  It works well but I never see it recommended.  It's kind of loud but I have no idea if they all are...?

Quoting aehanrahan:

I'm pretty sure that your lansinoh pump is the same as the ameda.

Quoting SadieJames:

2) chart for what?

oliver92
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:10 AM

You have plenty of answers to your questions that are the same, but I used Medela PIS and loved it, I've used it with boys my boys and EBF both for over a year with plenty of supply left to use. You count wet diapers, and to store milk, I poured right into freezer bags, marked them and placed in deep freeze ( in bottom) when I needed I used the oldest date first. :) Good luck

BreastfeedingQ
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:51 AM

I used Medela Pump-in-Style Advanced. Loved it!

There are loads of info at www.breastfeedingquest.com to answer your questions. And here is a pump comparisson chart if you decide to research this topic:

http://www.breastfeedingquest.com/support-files/pump-comparison.pdf

There are many ways to show your love and devotion to your kids and to win their trust. Breastfeeding is the most natural one.    

Viktoriya from www.breastfeedingquest.com

ali840
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:28 AM
Good for you deciding to bf! I have 3 pieces of advice I wish someone had told me (I didn't have cm when I first started bfing).
• Have a nipple shield and breast shells on hand. They can save a bfing relationship from sore nipples. (Breast shells help nipples stand out so baby can latch well, nipple shields help when nipples are sore)
• If you've never been around a breastfeeding mom, forget everything you know about feeding a baby. Bfing is TOTALLY different (and better) than ffing.
• Any questions about bfing, come here first. There are lactation consultants on here that are so kind and helpful, and moms so ready to sympathize. And we all want you to succeed.
• BONUS You can't always trust your dr.s info. Even "bfing friendly" dr.s sometimes mess stuff up. They have NO training in human lactation and are usually so used to
ff babies that they expect the same from bf babies.
(sorry I thought of that last one while typing the others) I know you didn't ask these questions, but I hope you don't mind me going off topic. Best of luck and let us know how you're doing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)