Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I read do not pump until 6 weeks PP

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:39 AM
  • 6 Replies

I have to go back to work 2 weeks after the baby is born and work 6-8 hours 3 days a week... While the other 4 days I can EBF can I start pumping right away to store milk for when baby is home with daddy?

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
polkaspots
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:57 AM
I would suggest waiting one week and then pumping each boob once a day during two naps until you go back to work. This will help prevent engorgement and it will also ensure that baby will not wake up to freshly pumped boobs. I know everybody says that line about breasts being factories not storage units, but I respond quite well to the pump. So if I finish pumping both sides and he wants to be fed just as I'm finishing, I get to deal with a cranky baby because it doesn't come out fast enough.

I just want to add that fourteen pumoping sessions should give you more than enough for that first day and some back up for if you have trouble pumping the first few days back to work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:06 AM

You CAN pump the moment your milk comes in. It's RECOMMENDED not to pump till six weeks. But then, also recommended not to go back to work before six weeks either, though women certainly do. Make sure you have a Plan B with work if something should happen to keep you from being able to go back so quickly.

Journeysmama11
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:13 AM

It depends. Everyone is different. Some women can only pump an ounce at first. But I HAD to pump. I could feed my babies and would STILL feel engorged. So I would pump and get up to 8 oz. This was 3 days after they were born. I just overproduce. If baby is full and you feel engorged then I think it's a great time to pump. This worked great for me and I still have a huge stash and my son is 8 months! Some moms pump and that's what they use the next day, but I just feel like this would stress me out too much being afraid something would happen, like the time I spilled milk I'd JUST pumped at work. :/ ...yes I cried over spilled milk. 

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:17 AM
Yes! It is ok to start pumping as soon as your milk comes in to train your body to respond to the pump. Start with once first thing every morning. You won't need much stored. You will need enough for the first day. Then, you pump for the next day. You will need less milk if you nurse right before you leave and as soon as you get back, then leave 2 ounce bottles to be given every 2 hours between those nursing sessions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrybaby89
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Quoting gdiamante:

You CAN pump the moment your milk comes in. It's RECOMMENDED not to pump till six weeks. But then, also recommended not to go back to work before six weeks either, though women certainly do. Make sure you have a Plan B with work if something should happen to keep you from being able to go back so quickly.

I wish I could stay out longer.... With both my boys I had C sections and I was out the weekend I had the boys and the weekend after... I had my first on Friday 9.5.08 and was back to work 9.18.08 and I had my second on Tuesday 10.5.10 and was back to work on 10.21.10 that year. I also needed the money because I had a lot of bills to pay by myself... Same Dr as the last 2 so I am pretty sure they will release me again this time... I am hoping for a VBAC this time and an easier time trying to breastfeed... I would love to stay out, it depends how my savings is doing by then

oliver92
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:58 AM

With my first ds I started pumping in hospital, and was still bfing, with 2nd as soon as we got home, plenty of milk and supply with both, I did better with first, but he was 10.3 and the best bfbaby ever, my 2nd was a slow eater and small amounts, very often too, so it wasnt as easy, but I pumped right away with both, number 1 to build my supply and to have supply in freezer, I will be doing same with this baby.  I dont plan to use bottles, but I still want a supply ready for the just in case..... both were bf for over a year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)