Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Complexion turning yellow. Any nurses out there?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:16 AM
  • 5 Replies

DS2 is nearly 3 months old.  EBF.  Polycythemia at birth, but resolved within a week of NICU.  Super good eater and gainer. 

In the past two days I've noticed a slight yellowish cast to the bridge of his nose, stretching to the middle of his cheeks.  It's not drastic, but it isn't normal for him...

Can jaundice occur this long AFTER birth?!  Can polycythemia return?  Any ideas or input welcome!

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
BoxxyBabee
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Are his scleras yellow?

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:51 AM
I can not speak to polycythemia. But I can tell you that my one ds has a blood disorder that manifests obviously with jaundice, flaring up as his defective red blood cells get destroyed. His eyes were very yellow, enough so that strangers noticed. As treatment for his blood disorder (hereditary spherocytosis) he had his spleen removed a year and a half ago at age 8, and is not jaundiced for the first time in his life). The whites of the eyes are the first to show jaundice and the last to clear up.

I wouldn't think the yellow cast on the nose bridge was strange except that you noticed it suddenly 2 days ago.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:52 AM
My dd never had jaundice, but her nose always had a yellow tint to it, exactly how you describe it, and it lasted til she was almost a year old. I thought I was seeing things until my mom mentioned it and said alot of baby's have a yellow nose, totally normal. In our case, it was nothing, but you can always ask the doc if you're concerned!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:57 AM
My babies, too, and a little more transparent there. It seemed less noticeable as they got older and that flat spot got filled in with cartilage of a nose bridge. But I noticed it from birth.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

My dd never had jaundice, but her nose always had a yellow tint to it, exactly how you describe it, and it lasted til she was almost a year old. I thought I was seeing things until my mom mentioned it and said alot of baby's have a yellow nose, totally normal. In our case, it was nothing, but you can always ask the doc if you're concerned!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nurseangel032
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Polycythemia in newborns is not likely to come back and I would think it would cause a ruddy or more reddish complexion rather than yellow.   Since the yellow came on suddenly I would call your MD.  They may want to see him and will order labs if they are concerned.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)