• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural ways to help dry up

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:19 AM
  • 6 Replies
I am posting for a friend. She lost her baby on 3/14 at 20 wks. :( Her milk just came in and she is so uncomfortable. I suggested cabbage leafs and hot showers. Are there any other natural ways to help her dry up and soothe her sore boobies?

Married to Russell (7/27/09), Momma to Haydn (5/27/10) and Donavyn (8/1/12).
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:35 AM
Cold packs will help reduce swelling. Heat can make engorgement worse, though might help if some hand expression or little pumping is necessary to relieve some pressure. The cold crushed cabbage leaves will certainly help. Though not natural, regular estrogen birth control pills will work quickly.

Sorry for her loss. And having her milk come in is a painful reminder, salt in the wound.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:57 AM
I also found this:

"-Don’t bind your breasts. This is an old fashioned idea which is no longer recommended because it can make you very uncomfortable, and may cause plugged ducts and mastitis.Wear a supportive sport instead.
-Using drugs to “dry up” the milk is also not recommended because they are not very effective, and may cause serious side effects.
-Wear a supportive (but not tight) bra for support. Choose clothing that is less likely to show wet spots if you leak, and wear nursing pads to absorb leaking milk.
-Drink to thirst. Restricting fluids doesn’t help.
-Cut down on salt intake. Salt causes your body to retain fluids.
-Take 200 mg of vitamin B6 each day for 5 days to relieve engorgement.
-Sage tea contains a natural form of estrogen and can decrease your supply and help dry up your milk. You can buy it at the health food store, or use the spice from your kitchen. Take 1 tsp of rubbed sage with 1 cup of hot water and let it steep for about 15 minutes. You will want to add some milk or honey to it as it is very bitter. One full cup every 6 hours usually will usually dry the milk up quickly. Sage works best if you use it along with cabbage leaf compresses. You can also get an alcohol tincture from a health food store. 3-4 ml every 6 hours usually dries up the milk quickly and goes down a little faster than the tea. The tincture is more readily absorbed in the mucous membranes, so it is somewhat more efficient at decreasing your milk supply." (Breastfeedingbasics)
twogirl91
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:08 AM

My best friend just lost her baby a week ago at 18weeks I suggested cabbage leaves and she wore them all day and all night and her breast are no longer engroged. 

Emadele
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:12 AM
Thanks ladies! Any more you can provide would be appreciated! I sent her a link to this thread so she can take a look while I'm at work today.

Married to Russell (7/27/09), Momma to Haydn (5/27/10) and Donavyn (8/1/12).
preacherskid
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:19 AM
1 mom liked this

http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/breastfeeding-support/no-more-milk-tea.html

BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:26 AM
I just want to say sorry for her loss. I can't imagine her pain.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)