Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doctor advice - From funny to dangerous and all the wonkiness in between

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:53 AM
  • 41 Replies
1 mom liked this

Since I joined this group, not very long ago, I've noticed a common theme: the bad (hilarious, crazy, dangerous) advice given by health professionals regarding bf. I think a thread with all these ineptitudes collected in one place would be both educational and downright entertaining.

Please share yours and explain why it is wrong and give a short corrective.

Thanks. Let the fun begin!

PS i loved the one given by a ped - if you don't give purees by spoon the baby will never learn how to use a spoon. :)

--
'I made an agreement of peaceful coexistence with time; neither it pursues me, nor I run from it; one day we will find each other.' (Mario Lago)
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:57 AM

My pedi said at my dd's 4 month appt that if I don't give her puree's she will never learn how to eat. LOL.

MommyO2-6631
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Our doctor wants me to stop nursing him at night and just let him cry. She says him feeding at night is out of habit and he is comfort nursing not getting any milk. I told her oh yea then why when he misses a night feed do I get so engorged I can pump ten ounces (I know that's not how much he eats but it does prove he eats something). He's nine months.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
audmom1218
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:17 AM
The spoon one was my daughters first pedi.

Her other gems, "just have daddy give her a good 4oz bottle before bed, she will sleep better. (At 4weeks) Yeah, major belly ache and up all night!!

And at 4days post partum "you only can pump 4oz after you feed her? You're not going to be able to keep up, so be prepared to supplement with formula".
Moogie1005
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

My granddaughter's 2nd pedi, long backstory, told her father that she got a UTI from breastmilk.  He said if her mother drinks lots of sweet and/or carbonated drinks, it will make the baby get UTIs.  Mother does neither.  He told them, son and his wife, not to give granddaughter the breastmilk.

SadieJames
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM
5 moms liked this

I actually appreciated this : when I asked about my dd posterior tongue tie and lip tie the doc looked at it for what seemed like forever  but was probably ten minutes.  She then turned to me and said she had absolutely no idea what she was looking at or for since she missed the one hour breastfeeding and mouth anatomy lecture.  She had me write down everything the ENT told us when I took dd a week later and bring it to her as well as before and after pics so she would know for the future. 

I feel like every appointment I teach her something about bfing lol.

BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:29 AM
I've been told by three LCs that dd has a lip tie. After reading here at her 3 month well baby I wanted to ask for a referral to an ent. Dh ended up taking her. I told him to ask the doc. When he got home, he called and said, good news! She doesn't have a lip tie! *face plant* you should see it, even I can tell its there!
MommyO2-6631
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol but dh was so excited! Very funny!

Quoting BabyPink07:

I've been told by three LCs that dd has a lip tie. After reading here at her 3 month well baby I wanted to ask for a referral to an ent. Dh ended up taking her. I told him to ask the doc. When he got home, he called and said, good news! She doesn't have a lip tie! *face plant* you should see it, even I can tell its there!

Terpsichore
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:51 AM

As told to me by pedis and pedi dentists:

Breastmilk loses all nutritional value after 1 year.

Night nursing causes dental caries.

Lip ties do not increase the risk of dental caries. 

Sleeping with baby/toddler in the room will spoil the child. (The child? It spoils the mom. I get more sleep by having DD in the room with me.)

Vaccines are proven to be safe. (All vaccines and medications come with potential risks. That doesn't mean I'm against them, but I do insist on knowing the risks beforehand.)

SadieJames
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:56 AM

My pedi does the "vaccines are safe" thing too.  We are selectively and delayed vaxing so dd hasn't had any yet at 3 months but every appt is a speech on how it's easier to do them now than later... Which I'm confused by - how is it easier to give a baby a shot? It's hard all the way around! I'm 27 years old and its hard to give ME a shot lol.

Quoting Terpsichore:

As told to me by pedis and pedi dentists:

Breastmilk loses all nutritional value after 1 year.

Night nursing causes dental caries.

Lip ties do not increase the risk of dental caries. 

Sleeping with baby/toddler in the room will spoil the child. (The child? It spoils the mom. I get more sleep by having DD in the room with me.)

Vaccines are proven to be safe. (All vaccines and medications come with potential risks. That doesn't mean I'm against them, but I do insist on knowing the risks beforehand.)

Terpsichore
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Quoting SadieJames:

My pedi does the "vaccines are safe" thing too.  We are selectively and delayed vaxing so dd hasn't had any yet at 3 months but every appt is a speech on how it's easier to do them now than later... Which I'm confused by - how is it easier to give a baby a shot? It's hard all the way around! I'm 27 years old and its hard to give ME a shot lol.

Well exactly. It's easier to hold down an infant than a 27 year old. Plus a baby can't tell you about any pain they are experiencing. Isn't not knowing easier?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)