Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Can I hear your toddler weaning stories?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:10 AM
  • 15 Replies

My DD will be 2 on the 30th. She hasn't gone one day ever without nursing, no nursing strikes or desire to have a bottle or cup more. Needless to say she loves her "night night" as she calls it. I am so proud to make it to two but I know I don't want to let her self wean but then again I don't know when TO wean. I wanted a short break before I get pregnant again and we are "thinking" about trying this Fall. I also thought about trying to wean by my sisters wedding in June because I want to drink some (I haven't drank since I got pregnant!). But I know it is going to be soooo hard. All day long it's "I want night night, I want night night" and if I do say no she pouts and cries. Please share your stories about weaning your toddlers!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:21 PM
I weaned my oldest just before his second birthday. He was only nursing at night and it was ALL NIGHT LONG. He wasn't much of a comfort nurser because he was attached to his pacifier. I didn't have CafeMom or a group like this 10 years ago to help me. His dad gave him a small bottle if warm cow's milk and cuddled with him and he was fine without nursing. If I knew then what I know now, I would have offered to nurse during the day instead of fully weaning him. He truly wasn't ready. He was attached to his pacifier until I took it away on his 4th birthday. He would have kept it longer if I didn't take it away. He still needed that suckling comfort.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:24 PM
I would start by setting limits on when you will nurse and stick with them. There is nothing about nursing that necessitates allowing tantrums. You treat the tantrum the same way you would if she threw one because she wanted a toy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifeforchrist
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Well I got pregnant with my second when the first was 9months old. We nursed through pregnancy and tandem nursed for a few months. I developed nursing aversion with my first, who LOVED bfing. It was all about breastmilk. Anyways around 21months I coudn't handle it. So we started to wean. It was hard, but I made sure to never say 'no' to her but offer her other things. Now shes 21/2 and says to me 'milk is for babies' when i offer her to nurse. (not sure how i feel about that statement :/ ) but she nurses her dolls! and sometimes asks if ill put milk in a cup lol.

austinsmama1106
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:30 PM
It took me a couple months to wean my daughter. We decided to ttc so I decided it was time. But then she got sick so I waited. At first I cut back to morning, nap, night and middle of the night. Then cut out morning by giving her a cup and staying busy. After a week, I cut nap which was harder but I would go for a car ride or something so she would doze off (she quit napping not long after). Bedtime was tough but o explained to her that by night night's didn't work anymore. There was lots of screaming and crying I let her nurse every other night for a week then that was it. I thought middle of the might would be hard but I just explained again that my night night's didn't work. After that she didn't ask and I didn't offer. 3 weeks later I found out I was pregnant.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:32 PM
If you're still nursing when you get pregnant, there is a good chance that she could wean due to the changes that happen during pregnancy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:56 PM

By the way... if you're still nursing in June, you can still drink. Alcohol went back on the table the instant the cord was cut.

Careeka22
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Quoting gdiamante:

By the way... if you're still nursing in June, you can still drink. Alcohol went back on the table the instant the cord was cut.

Yeah my husband won't let me drink while she is still nursing, I have told him everything that is said here but he isn't convinced so it is him not me. I normally don't drink but I do enjoy a beer or glass of wine (which I know wouldn't hurt her).  I even had to print off a list of AAP approved meds for breastfeeding before he would let me get on antibiotics for an infection I have.  The worst part with him is whenever my daughter cries for "night night" and I say no he is like just give it to her, "you're being mean" and says to her "why is mommy being mean and then my she says "mean mommy" it just isn't a good habbit at all.  I have a feeling weaning will be a looonnngg drawn out process.

Careeka22
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Quoting aehanrahan:

If you're still nursing when you get pregnant, there is a good chance that she could wean due to the changes that happen during pregnancy.

Thanks. I am actually hoping for that because I have a feeling she will still be nursing 6 months from now. I night weaned her and then she got sick so I went back for those days and now she seems more adament then ever to nurse and throws worse tantrums but I know we will get through it!

rockin2_manyMOM
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I dont have a real weaning story....It was medically necassary and a mutual decision between my son and I lol I just kind of lucked out on the whole weaning thing. My son was 2 1/2 and loved nursing. If I let him he would have still nursed many times in the day and most of the night. But I became ill and wasnt consuming enough calories to keep myself alive...I was averaging about half a gatoraide and half a slim-fast shake a day. If I was lucky. My son got down to only nursing at night (all I had the strength for) and one day...he nursed and then said "Mommy sick" and he patted my boobs and that was it. He never asked again. I was sad because I had wanted to go longer...but I knew it was for the best lol and my milk probably wasnt very tastey or filly by that time lol

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Tell him he must produce the research. You can find what you need on kellymom and the AAP website and on LactMed. If he doesn't produce the research you IGNORE him. Trust me on this.. it sets precedents for all kinds of other Stupid Husband Tricks. They must support the statement or it goes ignored.

Quoting Careeka22:

Quoting gdiamante:

Yeah my husband won't let me drink while she is still nursing, I have told him everything that is said here but he isn't convinced so it is him not me. I normally don't drink but I do enjoy a beer or glass of wine (which I know wouldn't hurt her).  I even had to print off a list of AAP approved meds for breastfeeding before he would let me get on antibiotics for an infection I have.  The worst part with him is whenever my daughter cries for "night night" and I say no he is like just give it to her, "you're being mean" and says to her "why is mommy being mean and then my she says "mean mommy" it just isn't a good habbit at all.  I have a feeling weaning will be a looonnngg drawn out process.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)