Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New at this!!

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:30 AM
  • 3 Replies
Hi, Im Bonnie! I just had my baby on March 18, a little girl named Audrey :-) I am EBF, and so far so good! I do have 2 other children, 2 boys, but they are 14 and 10, so its been a long time since I've done this :-)! Sort of feels like the first time again! Anyway, i have a question! Last night i warmed some breastmilk for my DH to feed her because i was so tired... This was about 12:30... She didnt take it (she fell asleep).... The bottle sat out all night and he gave it to her this morning at like 5:30. :-/. I read on line (la leche) that breast milk can sit out for like 6 hours at room temp, my question is , is that for freshly pumped milk only because mine was pumped and refridgerated, and warmed in hot water... Im so confused! I hope she doesnt get sick and now Im worried :-( I told him this rule of thumb about milk sitting out and now im nervous that we shouldnt have done that :-(. Any advise would be great!! Thanks in advance!
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:38 AM
3 moms liked this
Pretty sure that's only for freshly pumped milk. I do know that if baby doesn't take it, it can be refrigerated and re-used, but I personally wouldn't use milk that had sat out after being heated up.
And just a heads up about having someone else give bottles, you NEED to pump for those missed feedings or else you run the risk of painful engorgement, clogged ducts, mastitis, and supply issues. Having daddy do other things while you rest (diaper changes, bath time, story time, skin to skin) will help prevent any potential problems.
I'm sure she'll be fine!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bonjie
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Thank you!! That's what I was thinking... Ugh I hope she doesnt get sick now :-(. I won't be doing that again!! ( she seems to be fine though)
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:31 PM
If she isn't sick by now, she's probably fine. For future reference, freshly pumped milk can sit out at room temperature for up to 8-10 hours.
I also agree with everything said above about giving bottles and (not) pumping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)