• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hypotyroidism

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:48 AM
  • 9 Replies

I was just diagnosed with hypotyroidism. I'm breastfeeding my 7 month old & want to know what meds are safe to take. Can't wait to get started & for the meds to start working because I feel like crap.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Treatment for hypothyroidism is safe and can increase milk supply. Synthroid is the typical med. Safe.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Yes, there are safe medications to take while breastfeeding. I hope you're feeling better soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofcg
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Levexyol is also safe
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

Treatment for hypothyroidism is safe and can increase milk supply. Synthroid is the typical med. Safe.

Awesome, thank you.

CafeMom Tickers
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Quoting aehanrahan:

Yes, there are safe medications to take while breastfeeding. I hope you're feeling better soon!

Thank you :)

healingone
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:46 PM

No worries!  They synthroid is totally safe and changes into natural forms and does it's work.  The majority of endocrinologists recommend the syn(thetic thy)roid, because it is too hard to get appropriate dosages of the natural (Armour and others) thyroid from pigs and cows to be in the proper dosages, no matter what the natural docs may tell you.  There are several generic versions of synthetic thyroid like levothyroxine.  Yet both endocrinologists I have been to have said to always stay on the Synthroid as it has best quality control and dosages, for waht that is worth.  I know when I took generics my blood checks would go up and down too often.  So try to work with an endocrinologist if you can/ask for a referral from your primary doc since you are of chilbearing age.  Children who don't get enough thyroid hormone in utero are at risk for cognitive dysfuntion, so you want to be working with the best, should you get pregant again.   YOu will be feeling better soon, honest!!!  Blessings!!!

Kermitthemom23
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:50 PM
Hypothydroidism is very common pist pregnancy. Chances are you will be able to get off the meds eventually.
The synthetic stuff has been on the market since the 1940s and has been found to be very safe
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Quoting healingone:

No worries!  They synthroid is totally safe and changes into natural forms and does it's work.  The majority of endocrinologists recommend the syn(thetic thy)roid, because it is too hard to get appropriate dosages of the natural (Armour and others) thyroid from pigs and cows to be in the proper dosages, no matter what the natural docs may tell you.  There are several generic versions of synthetic thyroid like levothyroxine.  Yet both endocrinologists I have been to have said to always stay on the Synthroid as it has best quality control and dosages, for waht that is worth.  I know when I took generics my blood checks would go up and down too often.  So try to work with an endocrinologist if you can/ask for a referral from your primary doc since you are of chilbearing age.  Children who don't get enough thyroid hormone in utero are at risk for cognitive dysfuntion, so you want to be working with the best, should you get pregant again.   YOu will be feeling better soon, honest!!!  Blessings!!!

Thank you. I know quite a bit about this disorder because I'm a veterinary tech & dogs get hypothyroidism & cats get hyperthyroidism. lol. We use levothyroxine in dogs & Tapazole in cats. I'm waiting to get the rest of my lab work back & my Dr said somthing about Synthroid. I just figured I'd ask here about breastfeeding while being on meds. I was also thinking of seeing an endocrinologist about it. Thank you again hun :)

healingone
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:53 PM

You're very welcome!!!  Blessings!!

Quoting Tckosdk.2012:

Quoting healingone:

Thank you. I know quite a bit about this disorder because I'm a veterinary tech & dogs get hypothyroidism & cats get hyperthyroidism. lol. We use levothyroxine in dogs & Tapazole in cats. I'm waiting to get the rest of my lab work back & my Dr said somthing about Synthroid. I just figured I'd ask here about breastfeeding while being on meds. I was also thinking of seeing an endocrinologist about it. Thank you again hun :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)