Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doctor's appointment today :(

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:13 PM
  • 24 Replies

Our little one was born on the 16th of March weighing 7 pounds 4 ounces.

At his 2 day appointment he weighed 6 pounds 11 ounces
11 day appointment 6 pounds 14 ounces
18 day appointment 6 pounds 15.5 ounces

The doctor says we should supplement with formula.

Our son has had the normal amount of wet and dirty diapers (between 8 and 10 a day). He seems to be super alert, and growing stronger.

The biggest concern is weight gain. Any thoughts or advice on this?

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lifeforchrist
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:17 PM

My second started out at 6lbs and at almost 1year is barely 17lbs. Dr.s always want to cry weight gain failure. But some babies are just smaller. If diaper count is good then baby is getting enough. Adding formula would only overfeed the baby.

mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Good grief that's a lot of weighing! Week one is loss week so I'd ignore that weight.  Give baby a chance to gain before weighing again. Also if your drs first hing is to jump to formula , fire him. He should be suggesting you suppliment with your own milk After its been determined you actually need to! Has baby been checked for tongue and lip ties?  

lifeforchrist
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:21 PM

thats a good point. my babies were only weighed at day one and then again at 6wks (for fun) and 2 months.

Quoting mamabens:

Good grief that's a lot of weighing! Week one is loss week so I'd ignore that weight.  Give baby a chance to gain before weighing again. Also if your drs first hing is to jump to formula , fire him. He should be suggesting you suppliment with your own milk After its been determined you actually need to! Has baby been checked for tongue and lip ties?  

twogirl91
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Don't supplement, he's growing, he's having enough wet and dirty diapers. Doctors like to push formula, your baby is too small "Give them formula" your baby is too big "Give them formula" your baby isn't sleeping through the night "Give them formual." .....ect.... 

CatFishMom
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Screw the doctor. My son went months without growing-doctor monitored, we did blood work, hes fine even though it stressed the crap out of me-and my doctor NEVER suggested formula. Id get a new doctor. Hes gaining, even if it's slow (mine didnt gain ANYTHING for three months) and if his diapers are normal, then theres absolutely no reason under the sun to give him formula. Id get a new doctor, personally.

Erica_Smerica
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:24 PM

At his 2 week check up (11 days) the Dr. said he wanted to see more weight gain. He suggested we give it another week and see how he goes from there. So we went back in today (18 days) and in a week he's only gained 1.5 ounces.

Quoting lifeforchrist:

thats a good point. my babies were only weighed at day one and then again at 6wks (for fun) and 2 months.

Quoting mamabens:

larissalarie
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM
2 moms liked this
You know you've got a bad doctor when they suggest formula rather than look for the root of the problem.

Quoting Erica_Smerica:

At his 2 week check up (11 days) the Dr. said he wanted to see more weight gain. He suggested we give it another week and see how he goes from there. So we went back in today (18 days) and in a week he's only gained 1.5 ounces.

Quoting lifeforchrist:

Quoting mamabens:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:48 PM
3 moms liked this
A 10% weight loss (expected, more could be lost if you had an IV in labor and/or a c section) would put his lowest weight more like 6 pounds 8 ounces. You don't expect any weight gain until after day 7.
So you'd look for 6/12 at day 14 and then 7 even at day 21. He's already practically there 3 days early!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:52 PM
I suspect baby lost more weight than you are showing now. The first week is all loss then after that expect 4-6 ozs a week after.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:59 PM
This! Find a new doc. Your baby is doing great....DO NOT give formula, there's absolutely no need! :-)

Quoting larissalarie:

A 10% weight loss (expected, more could be lost if you had an IV in labor and/or a c section) would put his lowest weight more like 6 pounds 8 ounces. You don't expect any weight gain until after day 7.
So you'd look for 6/12 at day 14 and then 7 even at day 21. He's already practically there 3 days early!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)