• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

supply problems...

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:52 PM
  • 8 Replies
My ds is 4weeks old today. We were doing great with bf until I ended up in the hospital for a week. Now my supply is having a hard time coming back. I pumped as much as I could in the hospital even though it was being dumped because of meds. Now I'm only getting about 1 oz out of both boobs so 1/2 an oz each at a time. I constantly have him on my chest trying to stimulate and he's latched on all day because he's comfort nursing even though he's not getting allot. Please tell me just Jeep trying and it will come back...getting discouraged...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Actually pumping 1/2 an ounce to 2 ounces is normal output between both breasts, so 1 ounce per session is within the range of normal . :-) Secondly pump output is never to be used as an indicator of supply or how much baby is getting, babies are much more efficient at getting milk out than a pump. Lastly putting baby to breast at every opportunity is the best thing you can do for your supply, the only way to know he's getting enough is diaper count, you want 6-8 dipes in a 24 hour period.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:19 PM
How do you know he's not getting enough? Your pump output is normal. He's still a newborn, so expect him to be on the breast pretty much all day even with a huge supply. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ali840
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:19 PM
You're doing great! Keep it up, it'll come :) Best of luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Also, pump and dump is rarely truly needed. You can check lactmed for info on medications and their safety during nursing, most doctors will always advise against them simply because they don't know the real answer.

And it is normal for a baby this age to be latched all day, my DS was like this for the first 6-8 weeks, and most BF babies are... this is a good thing as he is building and regulating your supply. :-)
gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Your pump output is right at the right point. Half an ounce to two ounces TOTAL both breasts is the range.

If you're changing at least six dipes a day, then leave things alone because you're perfect and don't even know it. **smile**

mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:16 PM

You are pumping normal amounts. For future reference pump and dump is rarely needed, drs know nothing about what's truly safe in that regard. What makes you think baby isn't getting enough? Pump output and behavior mean nothing! Counting diapers is the only way to know. 6-8 diapers in 24 hrs is what you need.

BabyFruit Ticker

Amanda7409
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Thanks ladies.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Keep the baby at your breast and count diapers. You're doing much better than you think.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)