Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

milk drying up and mixing bm with formula, and reglan?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:05 PM
  • 11 Replies
I returned back to work almost three months ago and I've been pumping while at work. Ds(8months)needs at least 10oz while I'm working but for the past month I've barely been able to pump out 6 oz while at work. I've tried supplements, galactogues, compressions, leaning forward while pumping, looking at his pics, but nothing works! Also his babysitter was mixing breastmilk with formula( water already added) is it ok to do this? I have some reglan leftover from my pregnancy I know it increases supply does any have aany dosage info or experience with it ? Any tips on how to increase how much I'm pumping ?
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1stpreggers
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I get two pump breaks during my 8 hour shift ( 30 mins each).

preacherskid
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:07 PM

How often are you pumping?

What pump? 

What is your work schedule, his feeding schedule?

1stpreggers
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:14 PM

My work schedule varies week to week usually around 10a-6p, but it's always 40 hours. I nurse him before about an hour before I leave to work, 2-3 hours later he gets 3-4oz bm and babyfood three times a day, then I feed him soon as I pick him up. I have a lactina at home and a medela pump in style for work.

Quoting preacherskid:

How often are you pumping?

What pump? 

What is your work schedule, his feeding schedule?

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
1stpreggers
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:38 PM

BUMP!

preacherskid
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:20 PM

You should be pumping every two to three hours while away from baby.  Do you pump in the morning?  If not, start pumping once in the morning, either before nursing or while nursing.  Also, adding breast massage/compressions during and immediately after each session will help increase your output somewhat.

Quoting 1stpreggers:

I get two pump breaks during my 8 hour shift ( 30 mins each).

CafeMom Tickers
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:35 PM
2 moms liked this
You are not pumping enough and he is getting too much in bottles. Can you nurse immediately before you leave instead of an hour before? Then, he should get 2-3 ounces every 2-3 hours. Pumping first thing every morning should help, then try to get in one more pumping session at work.
With nursing right before you leave, you could leave 2-3 2-3 ounce bottles and that should be plenty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:46 PM
This. :-)

Quoting aehanrahan:

You are not pumping enough and he is getting too much in bottles. Can you nurse immediately before you leave instead of an hour before? Then, he should get 2-3 ounces every 2-3 hours. Pumping first thing every morning should help, then try to get in one more pumping session at work.

With nursing right before you leave, you could leave 2-3 2-3 ounce bottles and that should be plenty.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Add in a pumping session first thing in the morning, 7 days a week. Nurse one side and pump the other or nurse then double pump about an hour later.

At 10 months baby can start to get a little less by bottle and get mroe solids while you are away.

MommyO2-6631
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:08 PM
i would start pumping in the morning and possibly an extra pump session on the weekend. that should be able to get you through the week without formula and up your supply a bit.
shortyali
by Alicia on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Here's what I used to do with DD. I would wake up and nurse. Then shower, get dressed and then while eating breakfast (oatmeal without fail, every single morning) I would pump. Finish getting ready for work. Pump when you can at work, ideally 3 times for an 8 hour shift but I you can only swing 2 breaks then so be it. Then once I was home I would nurse her one side and pump the other side. If I only got 6ozs that day then the next day she only got 6 ozs. I would leave her around 9ozs if I had it, if I didn't then she would get whatever I left plus extra solids. Tell the sitter no more formula. If your baby eats more ozs in a day than you can pump then it can hurt your supply.
I find it hard to nurse just edited walking out the door also. Mainly because my kids take their time nursing in the morning and usually I'm running late, lol, no matter what time I get up.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)