Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

lip tie

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:33 PM
  • 8 Replies

After hearing about other moms who struggled with breastfeeding finding out their baby has a lip or tongue tie, I decided to check DS since we had issues with BFing. I noticed that his top lip has a tie and was wondering if it needs to be clipped? Will he outgrow it? He's nearly 11 months old now and the only time we have issues with bfing is when he's teething. Is it not a concern since bfing is going well? I don't have a picture of it, but if I can get one tomorrow I'll post it.

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:43 PM
I just recently discovered that my 19 month old is tied, we've never really had any issues BFing, but it has caused tooth decay on his upper teeth :-( Also it can cause speech problems, but he's too young yet for that diagnosis. Personally, I would look into getting it clipped. I just started looking, but can already tell its going to be a long and difficult process, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

Oh it has also caused a gap between his 2 front teeth.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:46 PM

This is what his teeth look like now ^ :-( and the tie is clearly evident.
GirlInTheFedora
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:59 PM
My son has a lip tie and I used a nipple shield til he was 3 months old now he nurses fine. I didn't have it clipped just used the shield every time. Hes almost 9 months now and still going strong. Hes never had a drop of formula. Maybe try a shield. They are a pain but so worth it
beachlove512
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:35 AM

That's about what DS's lip tie looks like. His teeth are gapped but I'm not too worried about it since they could grow closer together. I'd like to take him to the dentist soon too since he has so many teeth now. Maybe the dentist could give me suggestions as to what to do.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

beachlove512
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:38 AM

I used a nipple shield too until DS was 8 weeks old before I said goodbye to it. I hated using a shield sooo much. It was hard to wean him from it and I'm worried if I bring it out again it will be a hard habit to break. Although I don't even know if he would nurse with one. He might think it's a bottle! lol

Quoting GirlInTheFedora:

My son has a lip tie and I used a nipple shield til he was 3 months old now he nurses fine. I didn't have it clipped just used the shield every time. Hes almost 9 months now and still going strong. Hes never had a drop of formula. Maybe try a shield. They are a pain but so worth it

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:40 AM
I know that the gap COULD come together, but there's also the possibility it won't and he could need braces. At this point, I'm most concerned about decay.

Quoting beachlove512:

That's about what DS's lip tie looks like. His teeth are gapped but I'm not too worried about it since they could grow closer together. I'd like to take him to the dentist soon too since he has so many teeth now. Maybe the dentist could give me suggestions as to what to do.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

GoodyBrook
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

I know that the gap COULD come together, but there's also the possibility it won't and he could need braces. At this point, I'm most concerned about decay.

My 23 month old is sporting a serious lip tie. Unless we're not able to keep the decay down with his baby teeth, I see no reason to clip or pay $1000s in orthadontia

But I personally don't view a gap in teeth as being unpleasant to look at--it's just a variation of "normal."  Lauren Hutton, Russell Crowe, Madonna, and Eddie Murphey all pop into mind.  It's a characteristic that sets them apart in a positive way... 

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:59 AM
Most with lip ties also have posterior tongue ties that can cause more issues.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)