Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Holy cow!!! Cows vs Humans

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:14 PM
  • 7 Replies
So my dad grew up on a dairy farm.

We were talking about breastfeeding and comparing BFing to milking cows. Lol

He was telling me how they had to be in the barn ready to milk the cows at the same time everyday or they would just start pouring milk. Kinda like how when baby is hungry if you don't pump or let him eat mom starts leaking.

Welllll

I asked him how they scheduled the baby cows eating. Like did they let baby cows eat and then they milked the moms, or did they milk the cows then feed the babies.

He then told me that cows make a milk that can't be consumed by humans. Kinda like colostrum. So they milk the moms the first week and feed it to the babies in a bottle, because the babies aren't efficient enough in getting all the milk out.

Then once all the initial milk is gone they milk the moms and feed the babies cow formula!!!

Why? Becuase feeding the babies the moms milk costs them money. The more milk they are able to sell the better.

Holy cow! Literally!

Granted this was in the 60s, so I'm not sure if farmers still do this or if all farmers do this.

But goodness!!

Now we are even feeding our animals formula?!?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:32 PM
I think.it depends. Im pretty sure tha a local farm i go to lets baby cowa nurse

Also, i use to buy raw milk from a different farm.nearby that would also sell the colostrum, so i believe it can be consumed based on that, but maybe they just didnt do it so that baby cow will help mamas milk come in? Thats just a guess.
Eliots_momma
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:33 PM
We also feed adult cows things that they would never eat naturally, like corn, hormones and other nasty things that would turn your stomach. :( I think it is really sad how far we are from how things are meant to be.
Ms.Pteranodon
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Maybe... Or maybe this was the 60s and they didn't know it could be consumed. My dad said it had blood in it alot of times

Quoting Precious333:I think.it depends. Im pretty sure tha a local farm i go to lets baby cowa nurse

Also, i use to buy raw milk from a different farm.nearby that would also sell the colostrum, so i believe it can be consumed based on that, but maybe they just didnt do it so that baby cow will help mamas milk come in? Thats just a guess.
Ms.Pteranodon
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:39 PM
I agree.

I don't drink much milk..

Quoting Eliots_momma:

We also feed adult cows things that they would never eat naturally, like corn, hormones and other nasty things that would turn your stomach. :( I think it is really sad how far we are from how things are meant to be.

audmom1218
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I remember vividly feeding calves milk replacer, that was in the early 90's.  I'm pretty sure it's still common.  Bizarre, but common!

audmom1218
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Yeah, that's what it's called when a cow freshens (or has their calf).  The milk cow is usually marked with a big x (in my grandparents barn at least) and that milk is reserved for the calf. 

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Maybe... Or maybe this was the 60s and they didn't know it could be consumed. My dad said it had blood in it alot of times

Quoting Precious333:I think.it depends. Im pretty sure tha a local farm i go to lets baby cowa nurse

SadieJames
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Yup, called milk replacer.  It's basically corn based formula.  It helps the calves fatten up faster for slaughter too - which is why beef from a farm that doesn't do that is less fatty.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)