Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Over supply, overactive let down... need to vent.

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:42 AM
  • 16 Replies

Little cuddle bug is three weeks now and my let down issues are not getting better.. and I know, they probably wont start to even out till around 12 weeks.. but still it is stressful.  She latches great, but then has a hard time staying latched because of the let down, so she gulps, gags, coughs and take in so much air, then I have to de latch her and burp her every few min, and even then, she gets so gassy that we end up having a fussy gassy baby most of the day.  I'm block feeding and have worked so that I'm doing 4 hour blocks.. I've never had to go that far with my other babies..  I'm nursing her in almost a sitting up foot ball hold position, it helps but not much... it is sooo tempting to just pump off a few ounces before I nurse her, but I know not to do that.. but man, in one nursing session I will let down aprox 3 times.  Luckily, she is gaining weight just fine and pooping great so she is getting a good amount of both hind and foremilk.  

It feels like  90% of my day is spent trying to nurse and burp her... I have tried nursing her in the moby so I can keep up with the other kids, but she just gulps up too much air when we do that.  

I know it will get better, but damn, this is frustrating.  We even broke down and try gas drops... to be honest.. I don't see any difference with those drops... do they even work?

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Gas drops did help mine a bit.

You know, the harder something is, the more worthwhile it is. At least for the guilt trip points you're racking up to use on him in later years!

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:58 AM
What about letting a bit let down into a towel?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
daughteroftruth
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

What about letting a bit let down into a towel?

I'm using super absorbent nursing pads, so once I let down, I wait about 5 min.. they are usually soaked by then.  One time I forgot to put a pad on, and I let down, and I was wearing a bra, two tanks and a thin sweater... I sprayed through all of it.  Like it was going about 2 inches out... dh thought it was pretty funny though.  

daughteroftruth
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Quoting gdiamante:

Gas drops did help mine a bit.

You know, the harder something is, the more worthwhile it is. At least for the guilt trip points you're racking up to use on him in later years!

So totally worth it.  the longest I have breastfed any of my kids was 15 mo, and I really want to keep her going till 2 yrs, so I'm very determined to push through this.  

With the gas drops.. do you give them before or after you nurse?  honestly, we used them with our kids a few times, but I really don't remember if they seemed to help or not.  

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:22 AM

I think I used them after. It's been a lot of years! (Although I think he needs gas drops now as a teenager more than he did then!)

amc103
by Alli on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:59 AM

I had the same problem but I think I had a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. At least your LO is getting a good balance! How long have you been block feeding? I had to do it for 3 days straight to regulate my supply. Now things are fine. My LO is 4 weeks now and my supply has been regulated for about a week now, so maybe you're on your way to regulation too? Im sorry...I know there are no easy answers, but hang in there! I hope things get better. 

daughteroftruth
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:40 AM

We have been at it for about two weeks.  But this is my 6th baby, so each time gets just a bit "worse" so to speak.  And she is just one of those really agressive nurslings as well...lol..  most babies chew on their hands, or fuss a bit before they full on start crying to nurse... she goes from a dead calm to screaming, and there is no calming her down, so she latches on and nurses like she has been starved her whole life!! 

Quoting amc103:

I had the same problem but I think I had a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. At least your LO is getting a good balance! How long have you been block feeding? I had to do it for 3 days straight to regulate my supply. Now things are fine. My LO is 4 weeks now and my supply has been regulated for about a week now, so maybe you're on your way to regulation too? Im sorry...I know there are no easy answers, but hang in there! I hope things get better. 

amc103
by Alli on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:43 AM

Oh wow! Well, at least you can be confident that you're doing all you can for your LO, since you've been dealing with it with each child. This was new to me! LOL! Hang in there! It will get better! At least that's what I was told. :-)

Quoting daughteroftruth:

We have been at it for about two weeks.  But this is my 6th baby, so each time gets just a bit "worse" so to speak.  And she is just one of those really agressive nurslings as well...lol..  most babies chew on their hands, or fuss a bit before they full on start crying to nurse... she goes from a dead calm to screaming, and there is no calming her down, so she latches on and nurses like she has been starved her whole life!! 

Quoting amc103:

OpalG
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:12 AM
I just want to agree, you are AMAZING doing this 6 times. I am on my second - 6days old- and working thru all the OAL issues again. I was just laughing at the thought of if someone took a picture of my face during latch and then another of him screaming with unlatch to spray- that may not be the best poster for "breastfeeding is best! " Campaign . But it would b accurate! Anyway , great were ARE doing what's best. Hang in there and ill hang near u!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
beachlove512
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I've been through issues with OAL and oversupply too. Around 3 months I was no longer so overly full but I think it took a few months after that before the milk stopped spraying out. I remember yelling at my husband "get a towel! get a towel!" lol whenever I would nurse since it would spray my son in the face. DS was a very gassy baby due to all this and gas drops definitely helped (little remedies was the brand). We spent so many nights up late pushing his knees to his tummy trying to help him out. I think the gassiness stopped around 4 months. He's almost 11 months old now and we no longer have these issues. He actually likes the fast flow now (go figure!)

I hope it gets all worked out for you. Good luck and keep up the good work!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)