Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How often does/did your 8-9 month old nurse?

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:43 AM
  • 11 Replies

My first was a boobie monster and seriously nursed every 2 hours until 2 years old. This one, not so much. She's settled into about every 4 hours, though sometimes in the day she'll go longer if we get busy and we're out and about. Then I'll notice the time and make her nurse. Sometimes she will, sometimes she rejects.

This is seriously new territory for me. DD1 only ever rejected nursing ONE time in her almost 3 years of nursing and it was after a fall where she broke her elbow and we didn't know yet it was broken. Now DD2 rejects on a regular basis!

So I'm curious how often other 8-9 month olds are nursing. I'm trying to decide if I should encourage more, or let her back off. I'm afraid if I let her back off as much as she wants she'll be weaned by a year and I don't want her to wean that early. So I don't think I'm comfortable with letting her go longer than 4 hours except maybe here and there. But I can watch the clock and encourage more if she's already backing off too much. Some of those nursings are very, very short and seem to be more for comfort to go to sleep.

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:03 AM
DS nursed every 3-4 hours between months 8-11, then back to every 2-3 up until about 15 months, now he's 19 months and its about evvery three hours.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:03 AM

All variations are normal, BUT here's the key. No solids till she's nursed. Solids are an afterthought in the first year of life.

Journeysmama11
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:08 AM

About 5-6 times a day. He gets food about 3 times a day (after nursing). Oh, and ds is 8 and a half months.

Mommy2Phenley
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:25 AM

That's probably where we're messing up. I hadn't thought of it. I was so careful with this rule with DD1. She didn't get anything until she'd nursed. With DD2, we just do whatever. If it's meal time, she eats with us, whether she just nursed or it's been 3+ hours. Unless she's crying or otherwise showing she wants to nurse, I don't stop to nurse her first. And she LOVES food. She eats anything and everything.

I didn't want to be as strict with everything this time around because DD1 is so very picky and difficult when it comes to food. I'd hoped that with a more open approach DD2 may take to food better. Maybe we need to re-institute this one, though, and see if it makes a difference.

How close to food do you make the nursing? I always felt with DD1 that since she had just nursed, she had no room left for food and just wasn't interested. I know bm should be their main source of nutrition, but they can't practice and try it out if they are never hungry when food is around. Is within the hour still considered nursing first? Like if we're going to eat dinner at 5, nurse her around 4? She's a quick nurser, 5 minutes, maybe 10 tops.

Quoting gdiamante:

All variations are normal, BUT here's the key. No solids till she's nursed. Solids are an afterthought in the first year of life.

prettymommylove
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:28 AM

8 months about every two hours or less unless we're really busy out and about sometimes she'll notice and want it at least every three hours at most. I've got a boobie monster though. She eats solids 2 -3 times a day after nursing

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:52 AM
My nine month old eats every 2 hours. We had to back off a meal because his diaper counts were low with 2 meals a day. I would nurse, we'd eat lunch and then he would be full for four or give hours and nurse before dinner and repeat. He only had about 3 fispers s day when he had 2 meals.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:16 AM
This!
Just keep offering.

Quoting gdiamante:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:29 AM
Being the one that cooks, it was never convenient for me to nurse immediately before a meal because then I couldn't eat my own food while it was still hot. But after a good nursing session, not a quickie, you have more leeway with time because baby's belly still has enough food in it where it won't cause much of a delay for the next time you nurse. My son had some constipation issues a while back from too much food, so I started having lunch and dinner during nap time. His grandparents love to feed him, but they were feeding him too much. If your little one isn't nursing enough, try having some meals without her, or just giving her less food. One of my compromises was giving him big pieces of fruit or a whole fruit. He got to eat without filling his tummy or being left out. His favorite foods are still apples and pears and he's 1 now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

How close to food do you make the nursing?

No more than a half hour separation. Nurse first, solids are dessert.

I always felt with DD1 that since she had just nursed, she had no room left for food and just wasn't interested.

That's the whole idea, actually. If you're eating a good varied diet yourself she's getting samples of all the flavors. Her pickiness has nothing to do with what you did. It's endemoic to her. Picky is indeed the normal status of the American toddler.

I know bm should be their main source of nutrition, but they can't practice and try it out if they are never hungry when food is around. Is within the hour still considered nursing first? Like if we're going to eat dinner at 5, nurse her around 4? She's a quick nurser, 5 minutes, maybe 10 tops. 

4:30. Half hour separation. No more than that. If babyg is getting too many solids she runs the risk of missing out on important nutrients. Those exist in the milk. She could eat ZERO solids and be better nourished as long as she's nursing.

Don't worry about picky. That will happen OR NOT bo matter what you do, really. Just offer a good variety of foods.

Mommy2Phenley
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:36 PM
This makes me a little sad because she just loves food so much and always wants more, not less. But I don't want her to be not getting enough bm. I'll buckle down on it. :::said like a reluctant child dragging herself off to clean her room::: :p

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

How close to food do you make the nursing?

No more than a half hour separation. Nurse first, solids are dessert.

I always felt with DD1 that since she had just nursed, she had no room left for food and just wasn't interested.

That's the whole idea, actually. If you're eating a good varied diet yourself she's getting samples of all the flavors. Her pickiness has nothing to do with what you did. It's endemoic to her. Picky is indeed the normal status of the American toddler.

I know bm should be their main source of nutrition, but they can't practice and try it out if they are never hungry when food is around. Is within the hour still considered nursing first? Like if we're going to eat dinner at 5, nurse her around 4? She's a quick nurser, 5 minutes, maybe 10 tops. 

4:30. Half hour separation. No more than that. If babyg is getting too many solids she runs the risk of missing out on important nutrients. Those exist in the milk. She could eat ZERO solids and be better nourished as long as she's nursing.

Don't worry about picky. That will happen OR NOT bo matter what you do, really. Just offer a good variety of foods.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)