Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Colic...and gripe water

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:55 AM
  • 28 Replies

I think my son has it. It started about a week ago, and I made a postabout him being fussy at night. Well, I think its turned into full blown colic. He screams bloody murder for about 4 hours in the evening every night. Ive always heard, "if you have to wonder if your kid has colic, he doesnt have it." And its true. Its something completley different than fussiness. We're going to take him to the doctor today. Just to rule other things out, Im starting to cut dairy out completley today. Anyhow, I saw something online called colic calm gripe water. This looks great. Has anyone used it and if so what were the results?

by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:05 AM

No colic in our family--yet! 

In addition to your regular doctor, do look into taking your DS to a Chiropractor.  They have AWESOME luck in easing the fussiness of colic... 

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:11 AM
1 mom liked this
The most common cause of "colic" is overactive letdown and oversupply. Does he choke, sputter, spit up, or arch his back? Have you tried nursing in a reclined position with him on top of your breast instead of under it?
http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunflower_rn
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:39 AM
1 mom liked this

my 4 mos old was EXTREMELY colicky, can still be from time to time, mainly due to my oversupply and over active letdown. we found Colic Calm worked better for us vs the gripe water. Colic calm is black and will stain FYI but worked for nausea too with her reflux, gas, just about every tummy issue out "sensitive" girl has

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Rule out forceful letdown and/or oversupply first, that's usually the cause. Colic just means no one knows what's wrong. The link posted above ^^ tells you everything you need! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this
And to answer the grip water question, we used "Mommy's Bliss" gripe water when dd was about 5 months old. We (very regrettably) started her on solids when she clearly wasn't ready and the gripe water was the only thing that stopped the screaming from her belly ache and gas. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twogirl91
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I used gripe water and gas drops! They were a life saver with my first. He seriously screamed almost all day and it got worse in the evenings until he was 12 weeks old when it magically disappeared. But until then the gripe water and gas drops helped A LOT! He would still scream but it wasn't as bad or for as long. It's worth it for sure!

Analugojana
by Christine on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I used it when my DD was about 5 weeks old and had the same extreme fussy evenings. It seemed to help the first time we used it. She fell asleep within minutes. After that, less and less effect. It is expensive and stains everything into eternity, including cloth diapers when it runs its course. Be prepared for black stools.

amc103
by Alli on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I had a problem a few weeks ago with what I thought was foremilk/hindmilk imbalance so I did the block feeding for three days...It seemed to fix the fact that I had a TON of foremilk. Now my breasts dont get super full feeling. But I stopped the block feeding after three days thinking that problem was done. Should I return to block feeding to fix the overactive letdown now? I know this is a problem too. He does spit sputter and choke and my let down is always super intense...the first one always makes me spray. Im just afraid to do it again...wont it slow down my milk production even more? I get nervous when my breasts are not full feeling. I will try the reclined position too! THANK YOU! 

Quoting aehanrahan:

The most common cause of "colic" is overactive letdown and oversupply. Does he choke, sputter, spit up, or arch his back? Have you tried nursing in a reclined position with him on top of your breast instead of under it?
http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

amc103
by Alli on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Thank you for the feedback! I appreciate it!

Quoting Analugojana:

I used it when my DD was about 5 weeks old and had the same extreme fussy evenings. It seemed to help the first time we used it. She fell asleep within minutes. After that, less and less effect. It is expensive and stains everything into eternity, including cloth diapers when it runs its course. Be prepared for black stools.

amc103
by Alli on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Awesome! I hope it helps us too! Thank you so much! Im sorry you went through it too!

Quoting twogirl91:

I used gripe water and gas drops! They were a life saver with my first. He seriously screamed almost all day and it got worse in the evenings until he was 12 weeks old when it magically disappeared. But until then the gripe water and gas drops helped A LOT! He would still scream but it wasn't as bad or for as long. It's worth it for sure!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)