Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

18 month check up and asinine Dr

Posted by   + Show Post

Took Amira to her 18 month checkup we hadn't been since she was nine months. I've been taking her to evening Pediatrics with the doctor that I really like. It Is the same owner of the day pedIatrIcs but the evenIng PedIatrIcs Dr Is educated on breastfeedIng and always encouragIng. AnywAy AmirA wAs in the 20 percentile for weight! which is awesome since she usually was between the three to five percentile. I told the Dr that she doesn't really drink milk but she does nurse 3 to 4 times. She looked at me and Said, " do you really think you're producing Still"; "I have this problem with all my nursing mothers"; " it's not necessary to keep nursing your baby"; " There's more calories in cows milk then your milk, if you even have any."Wow
My husband was with Me. .he chuckeled. ..and you guys don't know Me personally. ....but let Me just tell you I looked her directly in the eye and very calMly. "Well it looks like you may not have enough education in breastfeeding".I let her know that I was an educated mama. I told her that the who recommended at least 2 years. ObviOusly my milk was dOing just fine since she is thriving. I also let her know that she not need educate me on human development since that's what I have my degree in. And my other two degrees Are in mAternAl child And youth development. I told her as a community educator it was highly irresponsible of her to give wrong information and if she would like to give good information and congruent information then she had better educate her self. I told her that I do respect her medical advice that does not include feeding my baby. I also informed her that the evening Dr of the same practice always encourage my breast feeding and with more educated in this matter. Furthermore, she may want to consult that doctor for more information
The docTor was preTTy speechless and she nodded her head and conTinued her examinaTion.
My blood was boiling on the inside.
How asinine
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:32 AM
Replies (11-20):
CatFishMom
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:06 PM

My son has the same amber beads. :-)
ANYway...good for you! 'Do you really think youre still producing?' Seriously? Is she joking? I stopped nursing at one (baby's choice, he literally said no more) and continued to lactate for about a year and a half afterward. It only dried up when I got pregnant with my second baby. Im pregnant with my third now and since I only had two months between stopping nursing with my fifteen month old and getting pregnant, Im still lactating even now! My ped. was always thrilled when he found out my boys were still nursing. What a moron.

twogirl91
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:08 PM

You go mama!!! You handled that very well!

moroccanmommy
by Robin on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Why thank you it felt rather good expecially because I did not lose my cool

Quoting twogirl91:

You go mama!!! You handled that very well!

GoodyBrook
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Way to go!

Obviously the "problem" is not with all her nursing mothers, it's in her lack of education!  (Makes you wonder if she quit nursing her children at age one because she was told the same thing she tried to pass on to you...).

wolfybaby
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM
6 moms liked this

i would have been tempted to squirt some milk at her.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this
OH MY GOSH!!! You handled her perfectly! Way to go!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

You ROCK mama!!

Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this
That's awesome. I had my sons 18 month appt today too. I was hoping for some breastfeeding "advice" so I could blast them but no one even commented.

There is one doctor at the practice who is a total idiot about breastfeeding-I'm glad I didn't have to see him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Kudos to you!
JTE11
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I'm so glad my pedi and I are on the same page regarding BFing. Or at least she has the good grace to keep her mouth shut if she disagrees with it. Either way, we can work together. Sorry to hear this one was so lacking in basic info! How frustrating to think there are mothers out there who aren't so confident and educated in BFing and this woman is out there spreading this attitude. It's a shame.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN