Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I'm feeling a little selfish and guilty

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:43 AM
  • 16 Replies
I just counted the stash in the deep freeze it equals to 616 oz! I have been exclusively pumping for 5 months. Ds is 6 1/2 months. I've been wanting to donate more milk ( I've only donated once to a mom who only needed 30 oz). Part of me wants to keep it all just in case. I feel ridiculous for saying that and I feel like it's selfish. I don't plan on weaning the pump for quite a while after his 1st birthday.

I posted this in the EP group but it's not very active.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:56 AM
2 moms liked this
Is it in a deep freeze or regular freezer? I know that you want to keep it just in case but if you don't need to use it and the expiration approaches it may be too late for someone else to use that amount of milk. That's what iI let happen and I had to toss about 100 oz that could have really helped a baby in need. Just my thoughts.
Sfrazier
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I keep quite a bit in the freezer to. Its not selfish i have a thing where i feel like just in case my mother in law has some in her freezer also just in case lol I would say 616 oz is a lot and you could probably donate some more than you have especially if your going to pump for another 6 months itll double! But hey if it makes you feel better and you dont need the freezer space then go for it you could be giving breastmilk way after you stop producing it yourself.

hnischke
by Heather on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:11 AM
It's a deep freeze. We bought a bigger one because we didn't have enough room for milk and our food lol.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Is it in a deep freeze or regular freezer? I know that you want to keep it just in case but if you don't need to use it and the expiration approaches it may be too late for someone else to use that amount of milk. That's what iI let happen and I had to toss about 100 oz that could have really helped a baby in need. Just my thoughts.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I would think about donating maybe 100 oz a month.that way as you get closer to a year you'll gradually decrease your stash but still have some.

Quoting hnischke:

It's a deep freeze. We bought a bigger one because we didn't have enough room for milk and our food lol.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

hnischke
by Heather on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:56 PM
I think it's a comfort thing. I have 80 oz in the kitchen for the past 2 weeks. So I really have almost 700 oz in total. I know I don't need all of it. I don't have any signs of my supply decreasing.

Quoting Sfrazier:

I keep quite a bit in the freezer to. Its not selfish i have a thing where i feel like just in case my mother in law has some in her freezer also just in case lol I would say 616 oz is a lot and you could probably donate some more than you have especially if your going to pump for another 6 months itll double! But hey if it makes you feel better and you dont need the freezer space then go for it you could be giving breastmilk way after you stop producing it yourself.

kilahchaos
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Pshhhttt. I wish I could pump that much. I cant freeze anything! Then again, she 99 percent of the time is right on the boobie.

GoodyBrook
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:05 PM

If you do donate, make sure and donate your oldest milk first.  Check out Human Milk 4 Human Babies and Eats on Feets.  Also, there is a CM group called something like "ShareMilk" that you can post on, though it is largely inactive...  There is a lot of great info on the site, and well worth joining.

Way to pump, mama!

hnischke
by Heather on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM
He had breathing issues and couldn't quite manage the latch, suck, swallow, and breathing thing. So I resorted to pumping and now he's actually gaining weight. I had a hard time coping with not physically bfing past 5 weeks. I still feel like I failed because I wasn't educated enough. That's why I hang around this group! Knowledge for next time around ;)

Quoting kilahchaos:

Pshhhttt. I wish I could pump that much. I cant freeze anything! Then again, she 99 percent of the time is right on the boobie.

kilahchaos
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:10 PM

hey, stuff happens! I think its awesome that you are still giving mr. man boobie milk. thats great! go mamma!

Quoting hnischke:

He had breathing issues and couldn't quite manage the latch, suck, swallow, and breathing thing. So I resorted to pumping and now he's actually gaining weight. I had a hard time coping with not physically bfing past 5 weeks. I still feel like I failed because I wasn't educated enough. That's why I hang around this group! Knowledge for next time around ;)

Quoting kilahchaos:

hnischke
by Heather on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:10 PM
I found the first mom from eats on feets! Oldest milk will go first for sure!

Quoting GoodyBrook:

If you do donate, make sure and donate your oldest milk first.  Check out Human Milk 4 Human Babies and Eats on Feets.  Also, there is a CM group called something like "ShareMilk" that you can post on, though it is largely inactive...  There is a lot of great info on the site, and well worth joining.

Way to pump, mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN