Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it bad to nurse while taking...

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:54 PM
  • 9 Replies
Hydrocodone and antibiotics? I posted another post about sons dr saying its bad for him. But she seems ignorant about breastfeeding anyway.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ccnstanczak
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this

i took hyrocodone after scection. it made dd groggy and sleepy. i took it  a few months later for my back and she was fine.

lactmd. com has info on safe meds for bfing or kellymom.com

ccnstanczak
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:00 PM

double check with dr and above. i dont know what safe level it is i dont know for antibiotics.

pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:06 PM
The antibiotics depends on the kind they are.
The hydrocodone is a L3 which is safe to take but watch baby. It made my son very sleepy and he was 11 months 21+ pounds. I think he was sleeping like five hours straight after each dose and I'd only take one or two a day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaSince2005
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Some antibiotics are not ok to take while breastfeeding. That's why you should ask the doctor if it's safe for breastfeeding before he prescribes it.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM
If you have the exact name of the antibiotic we can look it up. Just about every drug, including prenatal vitamins (lol) has cya warnings not to use while breastfeeding. Doesn't make it so, necessarily.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:17 PM
There are truly very few medications that are unsafe to take while breastfeeding.
If you're unsure, call the infantrisk hotline to get the best, most up to date information.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Most drs don't know what's safe while bfing. Check lactmed or kellymom. You can even call the infant risk line.
AutymsMommy
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:19 PM

If you told your doctor (the one who prescribed your meds) that you were breastfeeding, they wouldn't have prescribed it if it weren't safe.

Check with your pharmacist - I've always had good luck asking them things like that.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Sadly pharmacists and cotors tend NOT to know; google "lactmed" for good info.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)