Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

*update* My EBF 3 month old was given rice cereal without my permission today!!

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM
  • 148 Replies
2 moms liked this
Everyday we get a slip from daycare of what my baby ate/diapers/sleep patterns. So today when we first got home I breastfed him right away but he didn't really care to eat so I was going threw his bag and on his slip today it said:
3oz at 10, 3oz at 1 and "a scoop of rice cereal with moms milk at 2:30"
(First I they fed him all wrong times and he had 2 bottles left over.) then I thought...
WHAT?!?! I have never brought rice cereal in for him he has to this day only had breastmilk, he is only 3 months old and doctor says no solids till 6 months!! They never discussed this with me or called and asked if they could try it. I called my mom and was freaking out but I got the idea that she thinks I'm over reacting but my god I'm working my butt off to make sure he's EBF. This is partially a vent but partially a question of am I over reacting? What would you do?

Okay so update:

Teacher is not in today so I talked to the director. She called the teacher to see exactly what was given. Apparently she was feeding all the kids (1month older than him and up) cereal at lunch and he "seemed hungry and like he wanted to try it" so she took a little cereal and mixed it with a little of my milk and fed him with a spoon a baby spoonful....I explained the reasons of why he can't and that our pediatrian doesn't recommend till 6 months and that it bothers me that she didn't ask first and she just replied "well you have to understand she is an older lady and does things in older style and didn't mean to upset you or anything but just since it was a little rice and thats easiest on their stomach that she didn't think it would be a problem" Now the infant teacher is actually the owner/directors mom so she's not going to do anything as far as a write up for mon or anything like a corporate daycare would so we will be giving our notice and leaving the daycare. I made very much a point that he is NOT to be given anything other then breastmilk. I don't get how they say he's so hungry all the time yet comes home with extra bottles. Ugh VENT lol thank you ladies!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:42 PM
3 moms liked this

Ooooo!!!  NOT ok.  I'm hoping maybe they put the wrong slip in your bag??  That is so so wrong, and IMO, a reason to pull him out of that center.  I wonder if there is anything else you can do?

SadieJames
by Sarah on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:43 PM
7 moms liked this

New daycare. Tomorrow.

bear.katten
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Oh I'd be pissed! Rice cereal is crap anyway, babies cannot even digest grains!!!! They probably thought it would help him sleep and wanted him to nap!! I'd be going to the director!
ninastone
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:45 PM
3 moms liked this

I'd lose my mind. I would set up a meeting and explain to them why it is NOT okay to ever give a child something without parent permission

masonsmommy921
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:46 PM
That's what I thought at first but the fact that it said "with moms milk" I know for a fact he's the only bf baby in the classroom. Like idk what a "scoop" means was he spoon fed or put in his bottle? Idk I'm so upset

Quoting jackiewal10:

Ooooo!!!  NOT ok.  I'm hoping maybe they put the wrong slip in your bag??  That is so so wrong, and IMO, a reason to pull him out of that center.  I wonder if there is anything else you can do?

masonsmommy921
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:47 PM
That's how I'm feeling but we signed a thing requiring us to give a 2 week notice...I'll probably be putting in my notice

Quoting SadieJames:

New daycare. Tomorrow.

masonsmommy921
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Both will be hearing from me tomorrow. I'm glad I'm not just being crazy over nothing and someone agrees with me that this was a big deal.

Quoting bear.katten:

Oh I'd be pissed! Rice cereal is crap anyway, babies cannot even digest grains!!!! They probably thought it would help him sleep and wanted him to nap!! I'd be going to the director!
Thunderbug75
by Amanda on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:49 PM
3 moms liked this

First of all ask the teachers.  It is possible that it was wrote on the wrong  child's sheet.  I work at a day care and I have done this but have caught my mistake before pick up time. 

But if the teacher actually fed your child cereal I would be so pissed.  I cannot stress how important it to me and my center that parent wishes be followed to the fullest.  I can not even imagine giving any child anything other than what is supplied or Oked by the parents.  Also the teacher should have realized that your baby was too young to receive cereal. 

If this truly did happen please start the search for a new daycare provider.  Not all centers are this irresponsible.

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:51 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm not sure, but can they LEGALLY give your child something that you don't approve??  I've never had a kid in daycare, so I don't know exactly how it works.  I mean, what if he'd had an allergic reaction or something?

PEEK05
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh my goodness. I would be PISSED and make sure that NEVER happens again! I'd also bring in a doctor's note just to have that as back up because they'd be in a lot more trouble defying doctor's orders!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)