Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

wish theyd understand.

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:45 PM
  • 23 Replies
My in laws are making me want to scream. No one has really ebf there child in this family so they bdont understand why I want to or why I don't supplement with formula. They don't understand why I don't want him to have formula at all or why I don't pump instead. My mil called a friend of her sisters who told her that they only way to know how much he is eating is to give him bottles and that I don't need to give him the breast that he should get bottles only. Then they want to constantly feed him more than what I want him to have. I tell them he only needs to have an oz for every hr I'm gone no more. And that I'm not leaving more. My mil said I needed to take him in the get weighed and checked because he acts like he is always hungry. I said he gaining just fine just going through a growth spurt. She said he still needs to go in and get checked. I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of this thrush that ik he has but can't find the things the websites talk about to use to get rid of it ugh. I'm nervous to leave him alone with them tomorow whil I go to my job interviews. I should only be gone three or four hours tops and I'm leaving six oz. But they don't tyr to calm him down just give him food to shut him up. I'm guilty of putting him on the breast sometimes just to get him to stop crying but they do it anytime he fusses ugh. I want to scream. I'm mom not you to them but they don't listen to anything I have to say. Just say that oh well he a big boy he needs more than that. Yes he is big but gaining just fine by how I'm feeding him. Sorry this is long and rambling I'm frustrated with them and how they aren't understanding or supportive
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting poeticrose09:

My in laws are making me want to scream.
We start here. "In law" is a suffix meaning TO BE IGNORED. Do it often.
No one has really ebf there child in this family so they bdont understand why I want to or why I don't supplement with formula. They don't understand why I don't want him to have formula at all or why I don't pump instead.
You can print out the 101 Reasons to Breastfeed from Promom.org and tell them to read. Or you can tell them they don't need to understand; it's the way it's gonna be end of discussion. And then change the subject. And do that every time.
My mil called a friend of her sisters
You know, Eleanor Roosevlet once said small minded people talk about other people. Just the phone call was out of line.
who told her that they only way to know how much he is eating is to give him bottles and that I don't need to give him the breast that he should get bottles only.
Nope. You know how to count to six. Six dipes per day, he's getting enough. Ask MIL if she knows how to count to six.
Then they want to constantly feed him more than what I want him to have. I tell them he only needs to have an oz for every hr I'm gone no more. And that I'm not leaving more.
Good.
My mil said I needed to take him in the get weighed and checked because he acts like he is always hungry. I said he gaining just fine just going through a growth spurt. She said he still needs to go in and get checked. I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of this thrush that ik he has but can't find the things the websites talk about to use to get rid of it ugh. I'm nervous to leave him alone with them tomorow whil I go to my job interviews. I should only be gone three or four hours tops and I'm leaving six oz. But they don't tyr to calm him down just give him food to shut him up.
Then they are not allowed to watch him. Find another caregiver. Seriously.
I'm guilty of putting him on the breast sometimes just to get him to stop crying
THAT is what you're supposed to do. Breast and bottle are two different things.
but they do it anytime he fusses ugh. I want to scream. I'm mom not you to them but they don't listen to anything I have to say. Just say that oh well he a big boy he needs more than that. Yes he is big but gaining just fine by how I'm feeding him. Sorry this is long and rambling I'm frustrated with them and how they aren't understanding or supportive
And at this point they likely won't be unless you tell them they toe the line or they don't get to see him. This is a very commpn problem and one of the biggest reasons for premature weaning. And you need to know, if they don't respect you in this they won't respect you in ANY of your parenting decisions. So... you and dad need to present a united front, tell them KNOCK IT OFF or lose grandparenting privileges.
Understand, the problem is NOT the breastfeeding.  It's their lack of respect for you.

GoodyBrook
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Would you be  more content leaving your child with a paid babysitter?  Sometimes family drama can be fixed by keeping away from them!

You said you have thrush...have you tried Gentian Violet?

poeticrose09
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Can I give that to a three week old and if so where can I find it. I just found out about it yesterday or so. Which is why I'm asking. If we had the money I would but we don't. We live with his parents. We moved in to help out and they help us by watching our son on occasion but this shit is getting to b way to much and I need a job before we can move out.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Would you be  more content leaving your child with a paid babysitter?  Sometimes family drama can be fixed by keeping away from them!

You said you have thrush...have you tried Gentian Violet?

poeticrose09
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:08 AM
They won't read it and constantly bring up the subject. I can talk until I'm blue in the face they don't care. Ugh. We moved in to help them out way before we concieved by this makes me want to leave so much sooner than we can. I need a job first.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting poeticrose09:

My in laws are making me want to scream.
We start here. "In law" is a suffix meaning TO BE IGNORED. Do it often.
No one has really ebf there child in this family so they bdont understand why I want to or why I don't supplement with formula. They don't understand why I don't want him to have formula at all or why I don't pump instead.
You can print out the 101 Reasons to Breastfeed from Promom.org and tell them to read. Or you can tell them they don't need to understand; it's the way it's gonna be end of discussion. And then change the subject. And do that every time.
My mil called a friend of her sisters
You know, Eleanor Roosevlet once said small minded people talk about other people. Just the phone call was out of line.
who told her that they only way to know how much he is eating is to give him bottles and that I don't need to give him the breast that he should get bottles only.
Nope. You know how to count to six. Six dipes per day, he's getting enough. Ask MIL if she knows how to count to six.
Then they want to constantly feed him more than what I want him to have. I tell them he only needs to have an oz for every hr I'm gone no more. And that I'm not leaving more.
Good.
My mil said I needed to take him in the get weighed and checked because he acts like he is always hungry. I said he gaining just fine just going through a growth spurt. She said he still needs to go in and get checked. I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of this thrush that ik he has but can't find the things the websites talk about to use to get rid of it ugh. I'm nervous to leave him alone with them tomorow whil I go to my job interviews. I should only be gone three or four hours tops and I'm leaving six oz. But they don't tyr to calm him down just give him food to shut him up.
Then they are not allowed to watch him. Find another caregiver. Seriously.
I'm guilty of putting him on the breast sometimes just to get him to stop crying
THAT is what you're supposed to do. Breast and bottle are two different things.
but they do it anytime he fusses ugh. I want to scream. I'm mom not you to them but they don't listen to anything I have to say. Just say that oh well he a big boy he needs more than that. Yes he is big but gaining just fine by how I'm feeding him. Sorry this is long and rambling I'm frustrated with them and how they aren't understanding or supportive
And at this point they likely won't be unless you tell them they toe the line or they don't get to see him. This is a very commpn problem and one of the biggest reasons for premature weaning. And you need to know, if they don't respect you in this they won't respect you in ANY of your parenting decisions. So... you and dad need to present a united front, tell them KNOCK IT OFF or lose grandparenting privileges.
Understand, the problem is NOT the breastfeeding.  It's their lack of respect for you.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Gentian Violet can be used on baby, yes. 

What is your husband doing about this? He should clue them in that they'll be cut off upon your move-out if the behavior continues.

Ptitchou
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Grapefruit seed extract is great for thrush too.

And for some reason, I want to punch your in laws.

Good luck on the job search.
poeticrose09
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:32 AM
He doesn't see or hear them say anybof this and they deny it. Plus he supportive but just barely honestly.

Quoting gdiamante:

What is your husband doing about this? He should clue them in that they'll be cut off upon your move-out if the behavior continues.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Since you're on CafeMom Mobile you have a smartphone... time to do some recording. *smile**

Quoting poeticrose09:

He doesn't see or hear them say anybof this and they deny it. Plus he supportive but just barely honestly.

Quoting gdiamante:

poeticrose09
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Thx. I need to check to see if I can take that with my meds I'm on. I do too and I have two interviews tomorrow

Quoting Ptitchou:

Grapefruit seed extract is great for thrush too.

And for some reason, I want to punch your in laws.

Good luck on the job search.

poeticrose09
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:42 AM
I forget I can record on my phone. Silly me lol and where can I find the violet stuff?

Quoting gdiamante:

Since you're on CafeMom Mobile you have a smartphone... time to do some recording. *smile**

Quoting poeticrose09:

Quoting gdiamante:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)