Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Night weaning

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:00 AM
  • 8 Replies
My sin will be a year old on may first. I don't plan on weaning him, but I would like to cut out his night time feedings.....which is usually about twice in the middle of the night.

I didn't bf my older two very long, so I'm not sure how to go about this. Any tips or advice would be great!

Just to be clear I don't plan on doing this until a few more months!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:13 AM

I pumped and DH fed DS a bottle of BM when he woke in the night.  Mama was done night feeding!  After a couple weeks of bottles, DS decided he'd rather sleep, too...

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:13 AM
Dr jay gordons website. You can limit your nursing sessions to a specific time if you choose. For instance not passed 11:00 and not before 5:00.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:15 AM
Just a warning with that, once they get teeth im pretty sure a bottle is not recommended at night (please correct me.if im wrong)

Quoting GoodyBrook:

I pumped and DH fed DS a bottle of BM when he woke in the night.  Mama was done night feeding!  After a couple weeks of bottles, DS decided he'd rather sleep, too...

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:22 AM

I think you're right.  But when it came down to cutting him off cold-turkey at night or DH giving him bottles of BM so mama could finally sleep, we opted for the bottles.  Lesser of two evils in my mind.  :)

Quoting Precious333:

Just a warning with that, once they get teeth im pretty sure a bottle is not recommended at night (please correct me.if im wrong)

Quoting GoodyBrook:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:06 AM
I second Dr. Jay Gordon's night weaning method.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RadnRem
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:14 AM
I work overnight every other weekend. My son has started to refuse the night time bottles from my husband. And I'm gone for 15 hrs each shift.....he definitely just makes up for it once I get home in the morning. But we have also encouraged reverse cycling.

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 23, 2013 at 1:18 AM
Nursing is different than a bottle. One is that the nipple.goes far back compared to a bottle, passsd the teeth. Also, bottle will leak milk even when baby stops sucking, usually once baby stops sucking so does the milk (with the exception of nursing a newborn where some may experience lots of leaking (esp. At night).
2manydiapers
by on Apr. 23, 2013 at 5:31 AM
My sons 17 months and recently lost all four top teeth due to injury, so no night weaning here. But bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)