Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Having the same issue!!

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:00 PM
  • 5 Replies
My little girl is 6 weeks old. I have a forceful letdown as well. Shes also colic. Its been terrible. She refuses to nurse alot which causes me to have to pump to bottle feed bc when i put her up to my breast she screams like she knows. I think she also has a reflux issue. I just cut out dairy and soy a few days ago thinking it was that but now im starting to think its just my letdown. Ive been block feeding and im going to keep it up. I really hope this helps. She seems so miserable and used to be the calmest baby ever for the first few weeks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:32 PM
I just asked if you had a forceful letdown in your other post!
The remedy is easy! Change your nursing position so her mouth is not under the breast. This reduces the force of the flow into her mouth and will help with everything that you described. Reclining is the most suggested position. If that doesn't completely resolve it within a few days, try block feeding as well. Nurse on only one side for 3-4 hours before switching to the other side. You can hand express the unused side JUST for relief if needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Forcevul letdown causes colic and reflux...  How long are your blocks? do you do upright feeds? Baby screaming at the breast is beig made worse by the bottles!

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Been there.... just lean back in a chair to keep baby above the breast. All of his symptoms disappeared.... except the dairy intolerance but that symptom was blood in his stool.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:14 PM
I agree with what they said. Since your baby is still so young, I would suggest backing off on the pumping and giving bottles for a while. It's not fixing your problems. Consistently giving her the bottle instead of the breast means you're going to have to consistently pump. Idk about you, but I hate pumping. Pumping is a huge commitment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:13 PM
I missed the part where you said that you're block feeding. How long are the blocks? They may need to be extended. You also need to do upright feedings like I already explained.
I also agree with the others that the pumping and giving bottles is just making it worse because she will develop a bottle flow preference and not want to work for her food at the breast because she will get the easier bottle when she fusses.
Quoting aehanrahan:

I just asked if you had a forceful letdown in your other post!

The remedy is easy! Change your nursing position so her mouth is not under the breast. This reduces the force of the flow into her mouth and will help with everything that you described. Reclining is the most suggested position. If that doesn't completely resolve it within a few days, try block feeding as well. Nurse on only one side for 3-4 hours before switching to the other side. You can hand express the unused side JUST for relief if needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN