Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pain in half of breast? UPDATE

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:30 PM
  • 22 Replies
I am currently EP (yes, I'm happy with that decision for our family, and I thank you all for the support I got during my rough time I had).

My question is in the right half of my right breast it feels like engorgement pain. I am pumping normally with the same amount of output. I've tried massaging the breast while pumping, but it is still painful. Not scream out loud painful, but like you went a few hours past a feeding/pump. Any idea what this might be and how to help it? Thanks again ladies, you are really great through all this!

ETA- I reread my post and the first part sounds a little snarky to me and that isn't my intention, just trying to fill in the details. Thanks!

Update on page 3
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:11 PM
I also eped for eight weeks. Any who, is your breast hard? Sometimes I would get clogged ducts even though I was pumping on my normal schedule.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Sounds like there is a clog. That can happen with exclusive pumping. Continue the massag. Lecithin is a treatment that helps; there's info on kellymom.

cnlsmommy
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:21 PM
The whole half of it feels more solid than the rest, not a knot.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

I also eped for eight weeks. Any who, is your breast hard? Sometimes I would get clogged ducts even though I was pumping on my normal schedule.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Yep, I also think it is a clog. Here is the kellymom page with remedies for it. It has information on the lecithin treatment that Gina mentioned.
http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cnlsmommy
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Thank you! I tried to look there, but didn't see it. I will check her out again!

Quoting gdiamante:

Sounds like there is a clog. That can happen with exclusive pumping. Continue the massag. Lecithin is a treatment that helps; there's info on kellymom.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:29 PM
yep definitely a clog. for the time being you can try to dangle pump. sounds weird but get on all fours after a very warm shower and let your breast dangle while you pump. It works for the now but mine always recurred in a week or 2.

Quoting cnlsmommy:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Try a hot water soak. Fill the sink or a basin with water as hot as you can tolerate and dangle the breast into the water. You can massage it while it is soaking too. I think this is described in the page that I posted earlier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cnlsmommy
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:53 PM
Great, thank for the link! I didn't realize you could get a clog with the pump, but it makes total sense! Lol

Quoting aehanrahan:

Yep, I also think it is a clog. Here is the kellymom page with remedies for it. It has information on the lecithin treatment that Gina mentioned.

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

cnlsmommy
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:55 PM
I have to go get my hands free pumping bra for that, no? I wanted to get it today, but now that can't happen, hopefully tomorrow.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

yep definitely a clog. for the time being you can try to dangle pump. sounds weird but get on all fours after a very warm shower and let your breast dangle while you pump. It works for the now but mine always recurred in a week or 2.

Quoting cnlsmommy:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

cnlsmommy
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Sounds fun! Lol. I will try it to make it go away! Can these be dangerous and get infected or so they just usually clear on their own?

Quoting aehanrahan:

Try a hot water soak. Fill the sink or a basin with water as hot as you can tolerate and dangle the breast into the water. You can massage it while it is soaking too. I think this is described in the page that I posted earlier.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN