Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Medela pump in style advanced question

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:26 PM
  • 13 Replies

A resident had to leave without much notice (we have a lot of military people here) and she is practically leaving everything behind. She left this behind saying she didnt have all the parts anymore but hasnt used it in a long time and we could have it and do whatever we wanted with it.  

It says its a medila pump in style advanced. The only things it has are whats shown. Basically just the bag, machine, the plug in and I dont know what the other black wire thing is for or the little cap like things. I plugged it in and it does work, it functions and I can feel the suction from the little hole opening thing.

My question is, would this be sanitary to use if I had all the parts? And If it would be, what parts do I need and can I buy them separately? I have the little madela bottles that are used for this, they came with my hand pump. but I dont know what else to get or  where to get it if this is safe to use. I would love to have an electric pump.

(sorry for the crappy pic, I can get a nice one later if need be)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
baby wearing, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, breastfeeding first time mamma
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkButterfly66
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Yes you can use it, you just need to get new tubing, bottles and suction thinggies that go over the boobs.    BTW, you are getting a fabulous deal!

PinkButterfly66
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 2:53 PM
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 5, 2013 at 3:26 PM
2 moms liked this
That pump is an open system pump and milk can get into the motor and grow mold. I wouldn't use one just for that reason alone. This one has been sitting for who knows how long and you don't know what the motor loins like. Even if you open it and try cleaning it, you can't get all of it and it can always happen again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Quoting aehanrahan:

That pump is an open system pump and milk can get into the motor and grow mold. I wouldn't use one just for that reason alone. This one has been sitting for who knows how long and you don't know what the motor loins like. Even if you open it and try cleaning it, you can't get all of it and it can always happen again.
Oh I didnt know that, thank you! I dont know anything about electric pumps or really pumps in general so I had no idea. thanks!
baby wearing, cloth diapering, attachment parenting, breastfeeding first time mamma
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:17 PM
You're welcome! I didn't know either until it came up in this group a number of times. Now, the only electric pumps that I recommend are the closed system pumps... Hygeia Enjoye and Ameda Purely Yours/Lansinoh Affinity. Do you NEED an electric pump?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justone_jen
by Jen on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:24 PM
This, although I own a PIS. It was purchased before I knew better.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DirtyHippyMama
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Also if the mother who used it prior had any infection or thrush it could be passed on to you since it is an open system

Quoting Jujubee12:

Quoting aehanrahan:

Oh I didnt know that, thank you! I dont know anything about electric pumps or really pumps in general so I had no idea. thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:10 PM

oh yuck :( thats scary. Ive never had an infection and I'd like to not get one then.

Should I just throw it away then? The poor person in me feels weird throwing it away but it sounds like theres nothing else to be done with it.

Quoting DirtyHippyMama:

Also if the mother who used it prior had any infection or thrush it could be passed on to you since it is an open system

Quoting Jujubee12:

Quoting aehanrahan:

DirtyHippyMama
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Yeah it stinks about those pumps. :(

Quoting Jujubee12:

oh yuck :( thats scary. Ive never had an infection and I'd like to not get one then.

Should I just throw it away then? The poor person in me feels weird throwing it away but it sounds like theres nothing else to be done with it.

Quoting DirtyHippyMama:

Quoting Jujubee12:

Quoting aehanrahan:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oliver92
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Take it to your local wic office or hospital lc and they will clean it out and get you what you need, otherwise, yes I would use it, I know its an open system, but I passed my medela to friends and they were so grateful, everyone used their own tubing and parts listed above, but we never had any issues with mold or all that at all.  Its the greatest pump ever, we use the medela PIS backpack.. I ebf both my boys for over a year and pumped

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN