Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfed toddler and no weight gain

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:12 PM
  • 28 Replies

My breastfed toddler (14 months) hasn't gained any weight in a month and a half. The doctor was a little concerned. I forgot to ask which growth chart they were using. I honestly don't even know if there is a difference in the charts after a year. He's 21 lbs. We're going back in 3 weeks to get weighed again. Should I be worried? About 75% of his calories come from my milk. He just won't eat more solids. But I can't imagine that being the problem since there are more calories in milk. Any advice?

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:20 PM

new doc?  DD is 15 months, and weighs .5 lb less than she did at her 12 month check... Doc wasn't concerned at all.  Said they are really busy at this age, and you don't want them to keep gaining at the same rate as they do in year one! 

maggiandmike
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:20 PM
My son didn't gain any weight from one year to two, but he was 27lbs. I wouldn't be concerned yet if it was us.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:21 PM
I don't see anything to worry about. Gain is supposed to slow down. The food intake is not an issue either. Your milk will fill the gaps nutritionally until he decides he needs more food. Is he healthy and meeting milestones?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ac10
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:26 PM

He's meeting milestones but he has been sick quite a bit because his brother started part time pre-k a month ago. :/

Quoting aehanrahan:

I don't see anything to worry about. Gain is supposed to slow down. The food intake is not an issue either. Your milk will fill the gaps nutritionally until he decides he needs more food. Is he healthy and meeting milestones?

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Being sick, I would expect him to have LOST weight! Ignore the doctor. I don't see any reason for the weight check in a few weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Skip the weight check. As Lo.g as he's nursing as much as he wants and eating what solids he's offered, while developing normally, he's fine.
austinsmama1106
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:58 PM
All babies slow down after a year, they are so busy they burn off tons of calories. Plus if he's been sick he's not gonna gain. I wouldn't worry.
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:22 PM
I wouldn't be concerned. Not at all.
ceckyl
by Kyla on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:25 PM
My dd gained one pound between age 1-2. It's not a big deal at all.
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Dd litterally didn't gain any weight between 1 year and 2 years.  He's sounds fine to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)