Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Terconazole

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:18 PM
  • 9 Replies
I'm so frustrated. I have a yeast infection. The nurse said she was calling in an oral medication. After I picked up my rx, I noticed its a vaginal suppository. I decided to google it's safety. From what I see online and the packet insert, it's not safe, but the dumb bitch ( sorry she blew me off so she deserves this title especially since it can harm my newborn) at the pharmacy told me its probably safe and that's why they ordered the vaginal over oral.

Has anyone ever taken terconazole suppositories ? I hate that I paid $12 for something I can't use but I don't want to harm my baby either. I was so hoping this would work. Monistat burns like fire.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:31 PM
This isn't a well studied med. It is an L3 so not off limits.

There are options that are L1 and L2.

Clotrimazole is an L1.
Flaconazole and miconazole are an L2.

How old is baby?

Have you tried different OTC ones? I know you said monistat burns but have you tried different formulas...cream vs suppository and 1 day versus 7 day. Also some OTC have different ingredients and another one may work for you.

On top of that...sure it is yeast and not bv? Bv is undertreated and often confused for yeast.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Unfortunately, it must be so new that evev LactMed has no documented information on its safety. It suggests Clotrimazole as a safe alternative.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Hugs mama! Sorry :( This is how i treat yeast infections. I take probiotics, plain yogurt, lemon and raw.garlic. you can make a garlic suppository with dental floss (garlic kills yeast), if you have itchiness and burning you can apply plain yogurt (must be plain!) And that helps give relief and also treata the yeast. Lemon water and.eating raw garlic also helps. I also take somethinf called "candex" which treats all yeast in the body and its perfectly safe while nursing and breastfeeding. You can get it from whole foods, sprouts etc. I also cut out sugar, and bread until the infection is gone. Seriously doing all of these treats it pretty vigerously.
Mychele
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:45 AM
I have both. So I have 2 meds. I've been taking the one for bv. Haven't started this other one that I'm not sure about. Baby is 7 weeks.

Quoting IrishIz:

This isn't a well studied med. It is an L3 so not off limits.

There are options that are L1 and L2.

Clotrimazole is an L1.

Flaconazole and miconazole are an L2.

How old is baby?

Have you tried different OTC ones? I know you said monistat burns but have you tried different formulas...cream vs suppository and 1 day versus 7 day. Also some OTC have different ingredients and another one may work for you.

On top of that...sure it is yeast and not bv? Bv is undertreated and often confused for yeast.

Angela4boys
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:25 AM
I was on a mega dose of Fluconozole (Diflucan) 400mg daily for 6 months, while nursing. I occasionally have to go back on it, if I take antibiotics. Still nursing my daughter, she's 2 1/2. Probably had I had a vaginal infection I would have done the monistat, but this was a fungal lung infection.

The reviews were mixed. I had some doctors tell me to quit nursing her, others said it wasn't necessary. Finally I decided if I saw yellowing of her skin or eyes we would stop (high doses cause problems with the liver). That never happened though. My guess is, it's safe, especially with one or two doses. Also, even at the dose I was taking, it would have been out of my system within 2 weeks. I checked in the single dose and it said 3 days.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:17 AM
i would just call and ask for the clomtrimazole since it is an L3. i usually just use monistat 3. it doesn't burn me if i get the gel inserts.
Mychele
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Just sucks. I wanted to start treating it now.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

i would just call and ask for the clomtrimazole since it is an L3. i usually just use monistat 3. it doesn't burn me if i get the gel inserts.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:39 PM
you are supposed to wait until the treatment for bv is over to treata yeast infection anyways. the medicine that is treating bv causes a yeast infection.

Quoting Mychele:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Mychele
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:03 PM
I wonder why they didn't tell me that ?

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

you are supposed to wait until the treatment for bv is over to treata yeast infection anyways. the medicine that is treating bv causes a yeast infection.

Quoting Mychele:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)