Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weight Gain. ** update **

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:34 AM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this
Thanks everyone!!!
We had. Major break thru today! The dr I like was working our floor today, and not only was he not concerned with her weight, he also couldn't believe we were still there. He came in, sat down and told us exactly what to expect at home, but that he really had no concerns and thought she would do great!! The O2 stuff the other doctor was harping on he said was completely normal and that as long as she wasn't in distress ( and even when it was bad she never was..) he saw no reason to keep us :-).

So as I write this I am finally after almost two weeks, sitting at home on my own couch feeding my daughter :-). And she seems to be eating MUCH better here too, I have never seen such a milk coma!! I think that now the stress of the hospital is gone , we are both having a much easier time.

**Original post below**

We are in the hospital (she is 3 weeks, been here for 2) because she had pneumonia.

My daughter is all over with her numbers, generally speaking she is up, but the hospital made us fortify while she was sick, and she proofed up like a balloon. She gained weight, but she didn't look right at all. Now we are back to just BF again, she lost the extra poofyness, and leveled out, but last night at her weigh in, she lost a little again. I am worried they are going to make me fortify again and I really would rather not.
Overall I feel like if my daughter and I would be allowed to gain a good rhythm, with no fortifying, no IV, no crazymess, that we would start to gain on our own...

Mostly I am just stressed because there is a lot of focus on weight gain, and it is getting to me right now. I just want my daughter healthy so we can go home, and I know if they say to fortify I will end up giving in just to get them off my back... Bit it will have no Bering on getting her better, it's just a little oxygen left we have to ween her off of that is proving difficult.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:50 AM
"Fortifying" her will not do anything! The best thing you can do is nurse her and give her antibodies through your milk. Just tell the nurse that you do not want to hear about any formula again. if anything get a pump and feed her an ounce after nursing.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:52 AM
and i need to add... babies are not constantly gaining at a steady pace like doctors would make you think. they gain a little one day, maybe lose some the next and may gain a pound over the next couple of days. Even though my preemie was bottle fed he would gain a lot one day and the next would lose a few grams.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Do you have a complete weight history? How is her latch? Has she been checked for lip or tongue ties?
What you can do for now is wear her in a wrap or sling, do lots of skin-to-skin contact, and nurse her every time she wiggles. Newborns actually sometimes seem like the want to nurse 24/7 and that's a good thing. You can supplement with your own or donor milk in a supplemental nursing system.
Look up the articles on weight gain, supplementing, latching, and ties on kellymom.com--there are pictures, too. Keep us updated--we can and will help you through this. There are at least two Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultants on this site who can help you even more.
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 10:21 AM
If they want to fortify her give her your own milk!!!
svolkov
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:10 AM
This.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

"Fortifying" her will not do anything! The best thing you can do is nurse her and give her antibodies through your milk. Just tell the nurse that you do not want to hear about any formula again. if anything get a pump and feed her an ounce after nursing.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:31 PM
2 moms liked this

She had pneumonia. If she DIDN"T lose it would be strange.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:39 PM
I'm so glad to hear that!!!
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Love the update
cemcnair
by Courtney on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:20 PM
I'm so glad you are home!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)