Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Guess What....

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:46 PM
  • 13 Replies
I GOT MILK!!!!!
My baby has lost a almost a pound since she was born so I have to give her formula too but she gets to nurse first! I am such a happy mommy right now!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:56 PM
2 moms liked this
No need for formula. That's normal weight loss mama. Stop the formula before you run into problems, seriously. And yay for milk! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HunnyBabie
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:21 PM

A little weight loss is normal for a newborn (about the first week, if I remember correctly).  Anyway, you don't have to give her formula too; in fact, that will mess up your supply.  Just nurse her; her demand will set your supply; sometimes she'll nurse more often, that's how she'll increase your supply as she needs to.  I would stop giving the formula unless she has a health problem that requires it, which I don't know of any, but I don't know everything either.  Anyway...

Yay, for the milk!!!

Clei420
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:21 PM
The ped told me to do both until my supply increases and gradually cut back . How do I keep here awake during nursing?

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

No need for formula. That's normal weight loss mama. Stop the formula before you run into problems, seriously. And yay for milk! :)
GoodyBrook
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Your supply will never increase if you supplement with formula.  You are essentially telling your body not to bother producing more!

If you feed on demand and let baby sleep on demand, you'll do fine...  :)

GoodyBrook
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:25 PM

And if you need to supplement due to jaundice and a lethargic baby, you can supplement with your own expressed breastmilk.  Formula is rarely ever the answer.  (But it's easy for the pediatrician to make you feel that it is, as we all want the best for our babies!)

MalakbelLacuna
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:31 PM

the formula use will cause you to produce less milk and eventually she will be on formula solely. find a new doctor- one that is at least halfway intelligent

LLbaby143
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Stop using formula. Ur milk is sufficient. Every baby loses a lot of weight at first.
LLbaby143
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Undress her. Nurse her without a diaper.

Quoting Clei420:

The ped told me to do both until my supply increases and gradually cut back . How do I keep here awake during nursing?

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Every time you give formula, it tells your body that milk isn't needed. Pedi is setting you up for breastfeeding sabotage mama, sorry. Your supply will never increase with baby being stuffed with formula after nursing. To help keep her awake, undress her, change her diaper, burp her, run a wet cloth on her skin. Stop formula asap and nurse nurse nurse.
Quoting Clei420:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Apr. 6, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Ignore the pedi.  You wont ever build a supply if you keep suplementing.  Every ounce of formula you give is an ounce of breastmilk your telling your body not to make.

Quoting Clei420:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)