Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

just had my lo and new to breast feeding...help

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:56 PM
  • 16 Replies
Hello ladies I'm Lisa and I'm 3 days pp with a little girl. She is my 3rd and last. I was not able to bf my other two, but I'm determined to bf this time. I have tried to read everything I can and took full advangae of my nursing staff and lactation consultant at the hospital. But I seem to still be having trouble. My breast are very large and swollen and hard as hell. My nipples are red and sore beyond the moon. I have tried massage and pumpi ng some but nothing comes out. I let baby nurse as long as she wants to empty my breast, but it doesnt seem to. I dont even leak anything. I'm lost ladies and I know stressing doesnt help me, baby or supply. So any help from anyone would be wonderful so I can give my baby this great gift. Thank you..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HunnyBabie
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Keep working at nursing her.  What worked for me for engorgment is to, if my breasts were swollen, etc, then I would pump my breast(s) "empty" after one feeding; never more than one a day tho.

Let us know how you're coming along.   (((hugs)))

LilliansMama27
by Candy on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

How is her latch? Painful? Does she seem to be getting full? You're milk has come in from the sound of it, but don't worry they shouldn't be painfully full for too much longer. Just continue to let her nurse on demand. I used a hot pack to help with the pain. Some choose to use chilled cabbage leaves in their bra. You can continue massaging too, but try to do it in the shower (it helps to be more relaxed). As for the nipples, try lanolin to help soothe them. All of this is temporary (so long as her latch is ok. If it's not don't nurse through it. Unlatch her and try again to prevent damaging/irritating your nipples). Good luck! Stick with it mama :)

L_Alvarez09
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Its only painful for like the first 30 seconds then its nothing. I let her feed till she passes out and unlatches herself. I need to get something to put on my nippled to help. An the cabbage won't sorrsorrdry my milk up? Just what I have heard. Thank you for the advice, I really aappreciate it.

Quoting LilliansMama27:

How is her latch? Painful? Does she seem to be getting full? You're milk has come in from the sound of it, but don't worry they shouldn't be painfully full for too much longer. Just continue to let her nurse on demand. I used a hot pack to help with the pain. Some choose to use chilled cabbage leaves in their bra. You can continue massaging too, but try to do it in the shower (it helps to be more relaxed). As for the nipples, try lanolin to help soothe them. All of this is temporary (so long as her latch is ok. If it's not don't nurse through it. Unlatch her and try again to prevent damaging/irritating your nipples). Good luck! Stick with it mama :)

LilliansMama27
by Candy on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:05 PM

The cabbage won't mess with your supply, promise :) Her latch sounds good. That initial pain will probably go away after a couple days (maybe weeks). Get some lanolin for your nipples and you should be good! Keep up the good work! :) BF has its challenges, but I find if you ask lots of questions and stick with it during the rough patches it gets better. This a great group of women that can help you through just about any problem you run into!!!

Quoting L_Alvarez09:

Its only painful for like the first 30 seconds then its nothing. I let her feed till she passes out and unlatches herself. I need to get something to put on my nippled to help. An the cabbage won't sorrsorrdry my milk up? Just what I have heard. Thank you for the advice, I really aappreciate it.

Quoting LilliansMama27:

jmaw89
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:09 PM
You can also put your milk on your nipples to soothe them. And since you aren't getting any relief from the pump you can try hand expression between feedings. Just enough for relief though. Sounds like you're doing great so far! (I think there is a YouTube video for hand expression)
L_Alvarez09
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Ok good...yes it is showing to be a challenge, but I'm doing everything I can to do it right this time. Thank you for everything and I'm glad I found this group :)

Quoting LilliansMama27:

The cabbage won't mess with your supply, promise :) Her latch sounds good. That initial pain will probably go away after a couple days (maybe weeks). Get some lanolin for your nipples and you should be good! Keep up the good work! :) BF has its challenges, but I find if you ask lots of questions and stick with it during the rough patches it gets better. This a great group of women that can help you through just about any problem you run into!!!

Quoting L_Alvarez09:

Quoting LilliansMama27:

LLbaby143
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 6:49 PM
I disagree with the use of cabbage. I had similar experience and I would nurse baby on demand and in between feedings pump only 5 mins. After some weeks, my supply was less and my breasts felt less full all the time. You could also pump on opposite breast WHILE nursing(this will actually get milk out since baby will stimulate letdown on opposite side). Engorgement is normal.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:09 PM
The cabbage WILL dry you up if it is left on for too long. The pain at the latch that goes away is completely normal and will subside within the next few days to a few weeks. Putting your milk on the nipples should help. Keep nursing on demand and try hand expressing. In the shower us a good idea like suggested before. Another thing that you can try us a hot water soak. Fill a sink or basin with water as hot as you can stand and lean over to soak the breasts. Massage them and try to express them while they're in the water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Oh... How are diapers?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Apr. 6, 2013 at 9:28 PM
No cabbage!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)