Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Does anyone donate / sell their milk?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:39 PM
  • 28 Replies

I'm sure this question has come up before manytimes but I am curious? 

Anyone?

My SO thinks it would be great for me to do either or. I have a very heavy milk supply and find myself having to pump at least 3 times a day leaving me with about 10 oz after each pump, that's almost 30 oz a day, not countring what my little one eats.  Shes only 10 weeks old and i've tried to just slow it down and get her to regulate, but i get so uncomfortable and sore that i have to pump.  Anyways to make a long story short, we are running out of room in the freezer and its an idea that has come up.  I just feel ... sheepish? Worried maybe? I guess you would call it. That my milk may have something in it that may make a different baby fuss or upset to where my 10 week old is peachy on it.  I dont take any meds, or smoke ... ect.  Just curious is anyone in here does :) especially selling ... cause i've read mixed review on it.

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SadieJames
by Sarah on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:42 PM
2 moms liked this

I donate to a local adopting mom.  I met her through human milk for human babies on Facebook.  She does pay for the bags.

personally I wouldn't feel right selling it.

GoodyBrook
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I've donated, but I won't sell.  Too many babies need a helping hand. (Most mamas will reimburse you for storage bags, though).

My milk is priceless!

GoodyBrook
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:45 PM
4 moms liked this

Personally I'd be afraid to purchase breast milk.  If someone is getting $2 per ounce, what's to stop them from "thinning" it with cow's milk, water, or worse, just to make a bit more money?

But I'd trust donor milk 100%, because it isn't motivated by money.

jennerspeanut
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:48 PM

^^^^^^ I agree with yall above.  I just don't feel right selling it.  I would more so want to donate it but my SO thinks it would be better to sell.  

SadieJames
by Sarah on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Honestly selling it just doesn't seem right - we don't pay for it. 

Men are often motivated by money.  I always get asked by men how much I get.  I always just say I get the satisfaction of knowing another baby will thrive.

btw I've donated 1800 oz and counting.

Quoting jennerspeanut:

^^^^^^ I agree with yall above.  I just don't feel right selling it.  I would more so want to donate it but my SO thinks it would be better to sell.  

jennerspeanut
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this

yeah, you have the "motivated by money" thing right!  

Quoting SadieJames:

Honestly selling it just doesn't seem right - we don't pay for it. 

Men are often motivated by money.  I always get asked by men how much I get.  I always just say I get the satisfaction of knowing another baby will thrive.

btw I've donated 1800 oz and counting.

Quoting jennerspeanut:

bebe_ju-rah
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:56 PM
I did a long term donation with dd through human milk for human babies. I plan to do the same this time once my stock builds up a bit more. So far I've got about 50oz in the freezer.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
junebutterfly
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:11 AM
I'm am about to start pumping to donate to a local mom.
hnischke
by Heather on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this
I just donated for the second time yesterday. I've been making connections on Facebook with my states chapter of eats on feets. I've donated 250oz so far and stilll have a large freezer stash just in case something happens to me.
mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I do not respond to a pump but if I did I'd definitely donate. One thing to think about and tell so is that most of the people who pay for milk are not moms, they are fetishists. Men who have a sexual fetish for breast milk, especially depending on where you'd be selling it. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)