Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sad to be weaning my dd... even at 3 yrs old!

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:30 PM
  • 12 Replies

Yes, she may be our last baby, and she's almost 3 1/2, but I think we are on the path to weaning... and it's pretty much MY doing actually.  My nipples have been sore lately so I've been putting on lanisoh, and she doesn't want to nurse when I put that on.  So she has cut way back, and I think if I just keep putting it on, she will probably wean because of it.   I am sad about it, but yet I am pretty ready, too.  She's never been a good sleeper and still wakes usually 2x a night to nurse, and ALWAYS wants to nurse to sleep, too, so that meant rarely a break for me.  She is a major mama's girl!  Anyway I hope we will still have a special closeness because I will miss breastfeeding.  *sniff sniff* 

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this

The special closeness doesn't come from nursing, you know. Nope, not at all. 

It comes from being together. Nothing more than that. **smile** You've done GREAT!

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Apr. 7, 2013 at 11:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree! That special closeness is way more than just nursing. And it lasts. <3 I promise!

You did and are doing great! Don't feel bad! This is a nursing relationship! Both of you must remain satisfied! You're feelings matter. If you feel like you should wean, then it's absolutely fine to do so. You rock!!

Quoting gdiamante:

The special closeness doesn't come from nursing, you know. Nope, not at all. 

It comes from being together. Nothing more than that. **smile** You've done GREAT!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fairybaby55
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:12 PM

thank you both for the thoughtful replies.  <3

MJones23
by Meghan on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Rock on! You should be proud. You've done great and so has she. :) Congrats!
fairybaby55
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Quoting MJones23:

Rock on! You should be proud. You've done great and so has she. :) Congrats!

Thanks very much.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:15 PM
2 moms liked this
I weaned my youngest here at 39 months. Like you, my nipples were just killing me. I was like hyper sensitive and irritable. I felt like a mama dog running from a big puppy trying to nurse on the go. I felt very guilty for starting to resent it so much. And I'd snap at her and feel guilty for that, too. She knew it was bothering me.

But like they already said, once the relationship is no longer mutually desired then you make the changes either of you need.

All said and done my dd is still the most super snugly baby I have, almost 6 months after weaning. :-)
fairybaby55
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Quoting mostlymaydays:

I weaned my youngest here at 39 months. Like you, my nipples were just killing me. I was like hyper sensitive and irritable. I felt like a mama dog running from a big puppy trying to nurse on the go. I felt very guilty for starting to resent it so much. And I'd snap at her and feel guilty for that, too. She knew it was bothering me.

But like they already said, once the relationship is no longer mutually desired then you make the changes either of you need.

All said and done my dd is still the most super snugly baby I have, almost 6 months after weaning. :-)

That's pretty much exactly how I have been feeling, too.  Thanks so much for your reply!  It really helps me feel better!

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:44 PM
Transitions and change in life can be really hard, even at times when we need it.

If its possible, my dd is even more cuddly and lovey now than when we were nursing, and we cosleep and were attached 24/7, so that's saying a lot. :-)

Quoting fairybaby55:

Quoting mostlymaydays:

That's pretty much exactly how I have been feeling, too.  Thanks so much for your reply!  It really helps me feel better!

fairybaby55
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:36 PM

That's good to hear.  We recently got my dd her own bed and she shares a room with her older sister.  But she comes into our room in the middle of the night when she wakes up, because she ALWAYS wakes up haha.  And of course she expects to nurse then.  I have her down to only nursing at that one time, and then one more time when she wakes in the AM right now.  She used to have to nurse to sleep every single time, and just this past week I've gotten her to sleep just by rocking her, and with a little help with a natural children's sleep aid that I got.  (It's a combintation of melatonin and chammomile).  Anyway, thanks again for the reply.  Do you have any other kids?  Sounds like we have a lot in common with our 3 yr old little daughters.  :)

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Transitions and change in life can be really hard, even at times when we need it.

If its possible, my dd is even more cuddly and lovey now than when we were nursing, and we cosleep and were attached 24/7, so that's saying a lot. :-)

Quoting fairybaby55:

Quoting mostlymaydays:

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:17 AM
1 mom liked this
4 kids here! My boys are now 12.5 yrs and 10 (as of yesterday) and my girls are 7 (in a couple days) and 3.5. This youngest holds the nursing record by over a year. All 4 coslept. My 3yo is still in my bed, though I imagine this summer maybe she'll fledge to her sister's room. Does that sleep aid help? My dd likes to make an occasional cup of sleepytime tea in the Keurig but I'm not sure it does anything. But these nights she usually falls asleep waiting for me to wash my face, etc. She is totally high needs and has some strange sensory issues (hates the car seat straps, never will wear socks, wears clothes that are way too big, hasn't worn underwear in almost a year) and I really worried she would crumble when I weaned her but she was fine. No worse anyway. ;-) I had nursed her to sleep nearly every night and for any nap but I hit a wall with the night nursing around 20 months. We were down to most nights and some mornings for the last 4 months before I needed to quit. It felt like she was a pesky bug that I wanted to shoo away. :-( As much as I wanted to let her really self-wean, I just couldn't stick it out anymore. And I still felt guilt, making it *only* 39 months!

Quoting fairybaby55:

That's good to hear.  We recently got my dd her own bed and she shares a room with her older sister.  But she comes into our room in the middle of the night when she wakes up, because she ALWAYS wakes up haha.  And of course she expects to nurse then.  I have her down to only nursing at that one time, and then one more time when she wakes in the AM right now.  She used to have to nurse to sleep every single time, and just this past week I've gotten her to sleep just by rocking her, and with a little help with a natural children's sleep aid that I got.  (It's a combintation of melatonin and chammomile).  Anyway, thanks again for the reply.  Do you have any other kids?  Sounds like we have a lot in common with our 3 yr old little daughters.  :)

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Quoting fairybaby55:

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)