Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

she is latched on all the time...

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:50 AM
  • 15 Replies
I have a 1 month old and she is latched on all the time. She eats for about ten minutes then she just status there... When I try to put her down she starts to cry... I think she has attachment issues.... It's the worst between midnight and 8.. I need help.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:01 AM
1 mom liked this

My son was like that. He nursed around the clock. I think it helped with his eczema and allergies. Different children need it for different reasons. Various growth spurts will change nursing habits over time, as well. Try sitting her up and burping her after the first 10 minutes and see if that's it for now.

Try to find a local La Leche League meeting. They are very helpful.

MumsTheWord571
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:02 AM
2 moms liked this
1 month is a big growth spurt time. Sounds about normal. It helps up your supply. Just keep nursing on demand, it will get better promise!
funhappymom
by Marie on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Don't give up. It's completely normal at this point for her to be latched all the time.

I found it helpful to get a ring sling to feed mine in. That way I could still do stuff and feed them.

Soon she'll be eating less and you'll miss it.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:25 AM
4 moms liked this

At one month she's supposed to be latched all the time. There are no issues with baby; you just didn't know what you were getting yourself into. **smile** She's quite normal. The leech-like baby is the one who survives.

You should know, whoever called babies "bundles of joy" never HAD one. Real babies are bundles of NEED: "I need you to feed me hold me change me walk me rock me feed me again!"

It may not be heartening... but you're normal.

fortressmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:10 PM
2 moms liked this

The first 12 weeks after birth are known as the 4th trimester. Baby is having to adjust to a loud, bright, cold world  from the calm, dark, quiet womb. Being attached to you constantly is baby's way of coping. It's a good thing that she wants to be on you a lot. It means she knows you are her mama:)  She doesn't have attachmet issues unless she wants nothing to do with you. Look into a wrap or sling to wear her in. They are soo amazing for those first hard weeks. My 3 month old LOVES to be in the MOBY still. Knocks him right out!

mamer12812
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

sounds normal my baby eats around the clock they need it there trying to grow and they love there mommy :]

sarebare7
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this
My son was a constant nurser as well. In no way does that mean your daughter has attachment issues! She is adjusting to not being in a warm comfy enclosed space that she was used to for 9 months. Check out the Happiest Baby on the Block. It explains the fourth trimester, and really works miracles!
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this
This, but I have had a baby and he is/was always a bundle of joy, a needy needy bundle of joy, lol. :-)

Quoting gdiamante:

At one month she's supposed to be latched all the time. There are no issues with baby; you just didn't know what you were getting yourself into. **smile** She's quite normal. The leech-like baby is the one who survives.

You should know, whoever called babies "bundles of joy" never HAD one. Real babies are bundles of NEED: "I need you to feed me hold me change me walk me rock me feed me again!"

It may not be heartening... but you're normal.

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Normal.  Babies stay latched to up your supply and want to be close to their mommy.  I nursed every 1-1.5 hours in the those first 6 weeks or so.  Sometimes more often.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:55 PM
This!!!
And the only way that I got through at night was sleeping with the baby. If you're not completely comfortable with that, you could side car the crib to your bed so the baby is right there for constant nursing, but you still have separate sleeping spaces.

Quoting fortressmom:

The first 12 weeks after birth are known as the 4th trimester. Baby is having to adjust to a loud, bright, cold world  from the calm, dark, quiet womb. Being attached to you constantly is baby's way of coping. It's a good thing that she wants to be on you a lot. It means she knows you are her mama:)  She doesn't have attachmet issues unless she wants nothing to do with you. Look into a wrap or sling to wear her in. They are soo amazing for those first hard weeks. My 3 month old LOVES to be in the MOBY still. Knocks him right out!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)