Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A potentially very stupid question

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:53 AM
  • 12 Replies

So I'm a first time mom. My baby girl is due next month and I plan on BFing. I was talking to someone I work with (who isn't always the most reliable source..) and she said if you massage your breasts before baby gets here, it will help your milk to come in sooner?? Any truth behind this??

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:54 AM
2 moms liked this
Nope :)
No need to do anything special, just nurse baby as soon as possible and don't allow any bottles, formula, or supplementing.
And there's no such thing as a stupid question!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jennerspeanut
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Not to my knowledge. Every mother is different as to when milk comes in.  Also if you massage your breasts and / or nipple area before baby gets here, it could start contractions.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Nope. Milk is only stimulated by the delivery of the placenta. 

For now, feed your head. Read this group. Read kellymom.com. Pick up a copy of "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro. 

From there to delivery, the most important thing you can work on is learning about feeding. Baby doesn't care how the nursery is decorated or abou the cute little layette; baby only cares about eating. **smile**

MamaPrime
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Massing while feeding or pumping helps to relax and stimulate the glands to allow more to come out. But not before your milk comes in. You were born with how many glands you have. Massaging during pregnancy doesn't increase capacity. 

No stupid questions. This is how we learn. THere is a lot of mis information out there. This is where we come to help weed through it all ad find new ideas. 

Terpsichore
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

My advice to new moms: get a support group. Most first-time BFers that quit early do so from lack of support. Breastfeeding is as natural as walking . . . and there are very few people who were expert walkers the first day they tried it.

Re: massaging breasts, as other posters have said. It won't help before baby is born. I'd heard that I should rough up my nipples with a cloth to toughen them up before baby comes. It didn't help at all.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:56 AM
This is great advice. Get support and educate yourself.

You want to be prepared when stupid doctors or nurses suggest supplementing for no reason!

Don't be afraid to ask questions!

Quoting Terpsichore:

My advice to new moms: get a support group. Most first-time BFers that quit early do so from lack of support. Breastfeeding is as natural as walking . . . and there are very few people who were expert walkers the first day they tried it.

Re: massaging breasts, as other posters have said. It won't help before baby is born. I'd heard that I should rough up my nipples with a cloth to toughen them up before baby comes. It didn't help at all.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Katt709
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Nope. Birth will tell your breasts to work!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
esbucksix
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:02 PM

My favorite moto!!!! The only stupid question is the one not asked. You would be suprised how many have the same questions as you and were to afraid to ask.

The only stupid question is the one not asked.
mylovey
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I don't think so.......

Mommy to little Miss. Saylor, and little Mr. Finley. 

Terpsichore
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I was having a "duh" moment apparently. The Breastfeeding Moms group IS a support group. Originally I was thinking in-person support like a La Leche League group.  Sometimes issues like poor latching can be fixed easiest in person, and I like free.

Quoting Terpsichore:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)