Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Ive read mixed reviews...your thoughts?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:55 AM
  • 28 Replies

On a pacifier? DS2 has what I think is colic. Ive been dealing with oversupply and OAL issues and have been blockfeeding since Friday monring...things have gotten a bit better, but he still has such tummy issues! He has problems passing gas, he almost never burps and he cries a LOT...evenings are the worst. I have to schedule the block feeding in such a way that his favorite breast is the one Im using between 6-11;30 pm becaue thats when he cluster feeds, and if I try to use the other breast, he cries. He wants to just suck and not get milk. I can tell this because he pulls of the breast he doesnt like, over and over while milk is coming out of his mouth. With his favorite breast, he just comfort nurses. he's able to somehow not get much milk out of that one and then he's content. He also drools a LOT during his colicy time. Why? Also, in the last three days, he's gotten his thumb to his mouth during his really terrible crying episodes too. These signs all show me that while he's going through the throws of colic, he just wants to suck. He will be 5 weeks on this thursday...would a paci be okay? IM SO NERVOUS about it but Im running out of options. My nipple on his favorite breast needs a break! Both of them do, actually. Im STILL having bad nipple pain! No lip or tounge tie...the latch is good, I promise. No signs of thrush in his mouth. Why are my nipples still so painful??? I need help ladies..I thought this BF thing was supposed to get easier as he got older? Sigh....

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Everyone usually recommends waiting untill six weeks but I think in this case I would go ahead. But be prepared if it affects his latch to take it away. If you are truly nervous offer him a clean finger to see if that calms him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Zazayam
by Nicki on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I have never had a problem with them, mine got their first pacifiers in the hospital and we did just fine nursing.

If it starts any problems stop using it. :)

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:19 PM
Dd was given one in the hospital. I have zero problems with them UNLESS it changes baby's latch, is being used improperly (to suppress hunger cues, etc), or just causes any problems in general.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
A.J.s_mommy
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Same here. Gabby has had her bink since she was around 2 days old. Has been nursing like a champ for 6 months.

Quoting Zazayam:

I have never had a problem with them, mine got their first pacifiers in the hospital and we did just fine nursing.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Derek got his paci between 5-6 weeks becuase my nipples were sore and he was just wanting to comfort suck. I also have OAL and I could tell he was getting frustrated becuase my oversupply made it hard for him to just comfort suck.

My only warning is to watch what kind if paci you use. I recommend soothies or gumdrops.

amc103
by Alli on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:21 PM

This sounds great! But how would i know if the pacifier use is effecting the latch? What should I watch for?

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:15 PM
The latch would be different when nursing.
It is not colic! It is the effects of the OAL/OS. What are you doing to relieve them? Are you doing reclined nursing and block feeding? How long are your blocks? You may need to increase the blocks to get it under control. The reclined nursing should start helping right away, but the block feeding takes a while to bring down the oversupply.
If he can control the flow on the one side for comfort nursing, I would just stick with that. He'll learn with the other side as well. There are other moms who resorted to a pacifier because their babies wanted to comfort suck but the OAL flooded them with milk no matter what.

Quoting amc103:

This sounds great! But how would i know if the pacifier use is effecting the latch? What should I watch for?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HunnyBabie
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 4:50 PM

My DS2 was like that.  It sounds like he might be teething; the sucking might be changing the bloodflow and helping with swollen gums.  Mine had all the same tummy issues you mentioned: painful gas,  never burps, etc.  He did best when I could sleep him on his tummy or his right side (this works well for my reflux too, I've noticed).  Whether a paci would be okay is up to you.  None of mine really took a paci; one was a thumb sucker.

(((hugs)))

eatyourveges
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:05 PM
This. Both of mine started when newborn and my youngest hasn't had any issues. My oldest had issues but that was my supply and stress, nothing to do with him.

Quoting Zazayam:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Apr. 8, 2013 at 5:37 PM

colic is another word for we dont know whats wrong but we will give you a word so you dont feel so bad.  OAL causes "colic".  I have given pacifiers for the same reason, but the problem is the comfort nursing is awesome for supply and then you end up having to fight getting the paci away later...doing that now SIGH

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN