Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Bottle Size

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:38 AM
  • 19 Replies

Hello Ladies! I am pretty new here (I've been reading around but never posted). Anyways Im Jessica and my DS is 12 weeks old today and EBF (YAY!) I have a DD who is 4 and I wasn't able to brestfeed, I honestly didn't even try because I was lacking a support system (wish I would have found this group back then), but this time I am determined to succeed. 

Anyways, I work full time and I am away from baby approximately 9 hours a day including travel time. My mom takes care of baby while I work, she is always complaining that DS is always acting hungry. I leave 3 3oz bottles for him. I just want to make sure that this is okay and that I'm not starving my baby (I understand that my milk fomulates to his needs but my mother doesnt seem to understand this). I am following the 1-1.25 oz every hour away :) I honeslty do not want to leave more than I can pump, and I am able to pump 9oz in a day (I don't get many pumping breaks at work and wake up an hour before him to pump).

Am I leaving enough or should I increase bottle sized to 4 oz?

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cupcake2819
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I would be afraid to only leave 9 oz.  I make a lot of milk so I'm able to pump 18 ounces while working an 8 hour day.  I leave my husband 18 ounces when I'm at work.  DS usually takes between 12 and 16 ounces while I'm gone. I will add my son is 3 months old. 

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:57 AM
You are leaving plenty! Your mom is likely feeding him improperly. She needs to hold him in an upright position, bottle parallel to the floor, burp after every ounce and switch sides.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Don't increase bottles. you are leaving him the perfect amount.

anything more can lead to many problems!

keep up the good work mama:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:59 AM
No.... 9 oz is perfect. Nurse before you leave and when you pick him up. Most likely he is going through his 3 month growth spurt. You in no way are starving him. And if you pump in the mornings make sure you pump in the mornings on the weekend too so you'll get the best output.
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:00 PM
This. You are doing fine. Also make sure you nurse before you leave and after you get home.

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

You are leaving plenty! Your mom is likely feeding him improperly. She needs to hold him in an upright position, bottle parallel to the floor, burp after every ounce and switch sides.

ceckyl
by Kyla on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:04 PM
2 moms liked this
Wow that is double what he needs! You are very easily setting yourself up for your son to prefer bottles and tank out your supply.

Quoting cupcake2819:

I would be afraid to only leave 9 oz.  I make a lot of milk so I'm able to pump 18 ounces while working an 8 hour day.  I leave my husband 18 ounces when I'm at work.  DS usually takes between 12 and 16 ounces while I'm gone. I will add my son is 3 months old. 

fortressmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:12 PM

What you are leaving is perfect:) Google paced feeds and print the information out to give to your mom. Also kellymom has a free printout in their store on correctly bottle feeding the nursing baby you can have her read.

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Although it is a scary thought it is all that baby needs. My daughter can definitely down more in a bottle than 2oz if I let her, just like I can down a whole pint of ice cream if I let myself! But I definitely don't allow it. Bottles are meant to be just enough to tide baby over while your away. (Bf babies need 24-32oz/day. Divide that out and it's 1-1.25 oz/hr). If you are bottle feeding more then they will nurse less causing your supply to drop. I have been there and watch my crazy oversupply (12-24oz in 3 pumping sessions) tank to 1-2 oz in 3 pumping sessions because my in laws were feeding 18oz/day.

This group operates on best practice advice. Nobody is going to tell you you CAN'T continue to leave that much for your baby but we do want to give you a heads up of what may happen and how to fix it if it does so you don't have to supplement with formula if you don't want to. If it continues to work for your baby, that's great, but please for the sake of all bf babies, do not give this advice out without a warning "this isn't recommended but it did work for me".

Quoting cupcake2819:I would be afraid to only leave 9 oz.  I make a lot of milk so I'm able to pump 18 ounces while working an 8 hour day.  I leave my husband 18 ounces when I'm at work.  DS usually takes between 12 and 16 ounces while I'm gone. I will add my son is 3 months old. 
KiKa_2008
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

I've explained to her numerous times. I wanted to get her maybe a printout to read like the one on kellymom, however, I dont know where I could find one in spanish.
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM
2 moms liked this
That is MASSIVE overfeeding.

Quoting cupcake2819:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)