Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Lip tie (kinda OT)

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:34 PM
  • 8 Replies

I know some moms have dealt with a lip tie on here, but my YDD is 13 months and we haven't really had any issues with what LOOKS like an upper lip tie. It seems everytime she falls, she hits the possible lip tie and it bleeds. We've been very lucky that it has never affected our nursing relationship too badly and we're still going strong at 13 months.

It's frustrating, but now I'm starting to notice her two front teeth are looking a little decayed  (one of her front teeth even chipped and broke off a bit) and I'm freaking out. I googled "lip tie and tooth decay" and found that they can be related?! She has an appt tomorrow morning with her pediatric dentist.

Anyone else dealt with this? I know a lip tie is an easy fix (I hope her pediatric dentist can take care of it, if this is the case), but the tooth decay worries me.

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Someone posted on this recently but I can't remember who it was.

robibuni
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 11:41 PM

I think we found each other on MC!

I was shown the original post from here, but unlike the OP, I have no interest in weaning my DD. I hope everything is fixed tomorrow!

Quoting gdiamante:

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:19 AM
I believe that was me.... I just recently noticed my 19 month olds tie. My pediatrician told me they only clip if he was having trouble gaining weight or wasnt saying 10 words, than told me it would actually be damaging to move his "muscle"" *eye roll* My dentist office doesn't do clips. I called a pedi 4 hours away, the only one in Michigan who has experience with PTT but said they only do so for regular patients! Now, my last resort is to call a dentist who clips and lasers who is 4.5 hours away, but Im pretty sure DSs dental won't cover it.....

Quoting gdiamante:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Then maybe not me. Lol. I guess there have actually been quite a few posts about this recently.

Quoting robibuni:

I think we found each other on MC!

I was shown the original post from here, but unlike the OP, I have no interest in weaning my DD. I hope everything is fixed tomorrow!

Quoting gdiamante:

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:24 AM

This is a pic of DSs lip tie, you can see the decay on his 2 front teeth. :-( Also he has bumped his upper lip and bled from it a few times.
robibuni
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Are his two tops shipping also? DD's are beginning to...hers look similar to his but the decay isn't as noticeable (yet). Her lip tie looks similar as well, but its not bad enough that it has hurt her in the nursing dept (at least I hope not).
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Same, my brother and DH keep saying his top 2 look chipped as well, but I thought it was just from the decay, never actually chipped that I know of :-S. DS has also never had any issues in the nursing dept., but ties don't always cause problems with that, and I guess we just lucked out.

Quoting robibuni:

Are his two tops shipping also? DD's are beginning to...hers look similar to his but the decay isn't as noticeable (yet). Her lip tie looks similar as well, but its not bad enough that it has hurt her in the nursing dept (at least I hope not).

PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:16 PM
We had my toddlers lip tie redone for the decay even though she wasn't nursing any more. The gap closed in weeks and the decay has stopped! It's definitely worth finding someone to fix it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN