Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

BFing means you can't loose weight?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM
  • 45 Replies
PLEASE no one take offense.

I see a lot of people say on here, IRL and other groups that "loosing weight will have to weight until I stop BFing."

But this puzzles me.

Any diet you go on that is not BFing friendly is probably just a "crash" diet and won't help long term anyways.

I don't believe "diets" work. I believe eating healthy and excericing works.

From my experince, the best way to loose weight is too eat 3 small meals a day and 3 small healthy snacks a day, drink lots of water and exercising. Since I'm breastfeeding I add to my diet 1 BFing snack. This is something that is typically not healthy. :P it's my extra 500 calories a day. It is also my treat to keep my sweet tooth down.

Back to my point. Eating healthy is completely safe while BFing and doesn't mess with your supply. Exercising is also safe while BFing.

So I'm not really understanding people using BFing as an excuse?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceckyl
by Kyla on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:56 PM
No idea either.
corbysmom531
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I gained weight when I stopped BFing my son.   Losing weight while BFing him was easy for me.   I think it helps some people, and others won't drop weight no matter what they do while BFing. 

livelaughlov26
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:01 PM
I've never heard that. That is odd. It is unhealthy to lose to rapidly or to actually go on a "diet". But it is fine to lose weight while bf.
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:03 PM
I worry for when Derek weans. My goal is that by the time DS weans in 2 years I will be in a good habit of exercising, so I don't have that problem.

Quoting corbysmom531:

I gained weight when I stopped BFing my son.   Losing weight while BFing him was easy for me.   I think it helps some people, and others won't drop weight no matter what they do while BFing. 

mylovey
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM

For me personally, breastfeeding has meant gaining weight. I eat good and exercise 3-6 times a week, and somehow managed to gain weight. I am now cutting grains and gluten from my diet to see if that helps...... even though I have never had a problem with it before.

Mommy to little Miss. Saylor, and little Mr. Finley. 

Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:06 PM
I know you can go in a crash course diet, that limits calories or carbs at an unhealthy level, but those things aren't really good for you anyways. The moment you go off the diet the weight comes right back.

It is not a stead fast rule I have seen anywhere, but I hear and see a lot of people say "loosing weight will have to wait until I wean." And that just makes me scratch my head.

Quoting livelaughlov26:

I've never heard that. That is odd. It is unhealthy to lose to rapidly or to actually go on a "diet". But it is fine to lose weight while bf.

shortyali
by Alicia on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I think its because women think that because they are bfing its a free for all on eating.  I know with DD I was that way.  I ate anything I wanted when ever I wanted and I never lost a pound.  This time with DS2 I watch what I eat, I'm using my fitness pal to track what I eat and I'm down 10lbs from pp weight.  In no way am I saying this is for all women but I know quite a few (like my cousin) that only wanted to bf to loose weight and quite bfing early on because they didnt drop a ton of weight right away.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:08 PM
I agree. If it's not "safe" to do a specific diet while nursing, it's most likely not safe to do at all! I've personally lost a bunch of weight while nursing, and the only thing I've done is drink only water, cut out junk, and play with dd lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
livelaughlov26
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Idk. If they want to wait that's their choice. I personally would not. But I am still bf my 20 mo so that would be a long wait

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

I know you can go in a crash course diet, that limits calories or carbs at an unhealthy level, but those things aren't really good for you anyways. The moment you go off the diet the weight comes right back.

It is not a stead fast rule I have seen anywhere, but I hear and see a lot of people say "loosing weight will have to wait until I wean." And that just makes me scratch my head.

Quoting livelaughlov26:

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 8, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Craziness for sure, thinking those mamas are all wanting to go on fad diets and have weight melt off overnight. :-/
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN