Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Full time working moms - Curious inquiry

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:43 PM
  • 20 Replies

I went back to work (for a busy dermatology surgcial office, I surgical assist and manage the practice) when my newest Ashlyn was 4 1/2 months old.  I was pumping every 2-3 hours or so and bringing home about 16-24 oz a day and I did that until about 3 months ago, coincidentally when my period started.  Now she is over 10 months, still nursing, and I am only able to pump about 5-10 oz a day while at work.  My pumping sessions went from every 2-3 hours to every 4 hours, if I am lucky.  She eats regular food these days (she has 8 teeth, almost walking, etc).  I nurse throughout the night whenever she wants, I let her sleep in bed with us... I nurse when I am getting ready to leave for the day at about 4am and nurse her shortly after I get home, around 4pm...

I want to go at least a year, more if she wants.  My husband wants our room back so he is pushing me to stop as close to a year as possible.  I just love nursing!  I drink about 40 ounces of mothers milk tea mixed with a small amount of lemonade each day just to try to keep up.  I am sometimes able to restock my freezer stash, which always makes me feel good.

I am just curious as to what other working moms do?  Are you in the same boat?  Similar decrease in pumping supply?  What are your plans?  Any tips to keep it going?

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:00 PM
How many hours are you gone? 8-10 oz is plenty for a 10 hour day easy with solids. I only pump on occasion but iI have had this decrease too. I used to pump eight ounces at a time. Now I'm lucky if i get 2 ounces.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
alexis6879
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

How many hours are you gone? 8-10 oz is plenty for a 10 hour day easy with solids. I only pump on occasion but iI have had this decrease too. I used to pump eight ounces at a time. Now I'm lucky if i get 2 ounces.

I am usually gone for about 10-14 hours depending on whats going on at my office.  I am lucky if I get about 2-3 per sitting.  How old is your child?

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:07 PM
1 mom liked this
My output never changed the entire 9 months I pumped. I went back to work 12 weeks post partum and pumped for 9 months. I know that most women do see their supply decrease over time and this is perfectly normal. Yours still sounds great!
justone_jen
by Jen on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm separated from mine for almost twelve hours, but she reverse cycled and was only taking six ounces or so while I was gone, until I weaned from the pump completely just after a year. Now she just nurses at home and has solids while I'm gone.

You only need 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation (no matter baby's age).
justone_jen
by Jen on Apr. 8, 2013 at 7:15 PM
The only thing I think may help is adding a session, maybe in the morning, with baby latched on one side. If not then, definitely add one at work.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:27 PM
He's 9.5 months

Quoting alexis6879:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

I am usually gone for about 10-14 hours depending on whats going on at my office.  I am lucky if I get about 2-3 per sitting.  How old is your child?

bebe_ju-rah
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:18 PM
My output never changed. I nursed for 13 months
A.J.s_mommy
by Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Mine is changing as well. I'm gone 12-13 hrs 3 days a week. I try to pump often, but I'm a nurse and sometimes it just isn't possible. I want to at least make it to one year as well. She's 6 months now.
Kris_PBG
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:50 PM
Once my boys turned 12 months, I slowly started weaning off the pump. By 14 months, we nursed at home, they drank water at daycare and had no issues until they weaned.
KJH78
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:53 PM

My supply changed out of nowhere and I just happen to see the white circles that attach to the yellow piece (Medela) was looking old so I replaced it. My supply went back up, so I would suggest replacing some of the little pieces that may be worn out (even if they don't look worn out) and see if that helps.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)