Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My breast milk has started to come in????

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:41 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

So I'm pretty sure this is fine, but I'm only 25 weeks pregnant and I've started leaking. This happened with my other two as well about this time. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them? Or am I weird?
On a side note I also have a huge supply the first 6 months or so. I can feed the baby on one side, pump another 4oz+, and pump 8-10oz on the other side. So am I just a milk machine or what? LOL!

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Analugojana
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:49 PM

If it is clear/yellowish it is colostrum, which you produce in small quantities during the second half of your pregnancy and the baby will have that before your mature milk comes in.

carinsmommy
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Yup, thats it. But it is enough at times to soak the side of my shirt. Not just a small amont.

Analugojana
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Hmmm...oversupply of colostrum? Interesting. Never heard of it. At least the docs won't push formula because the baby is not getting enough LOL

Quoting carinsmommy:

Yup, thats it. But it is enough at times to soak the side of my shirt. Not just a small amont.

--
'I made an agreement of peaceful coexistence with time; neither it pursues me, nor I run from it; one day we will find each other.' (Mario Lago)
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Lol, I had this, fun stuff. I also had massive oversupply after baby was born and my milk came in. I completely saturated nursing pads til 9 months pp and then still had to wear washable pads til 15 months pp, when I got pregnant-since Ive been pregnant and nursing, I haven't leaked, until today, been almost 4 months.

Quoting carinsmommy:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MonicaV1982
by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 10:06 PM

not necessarily. once the placenta is released she may not see an oversupply any more.

Quoting Analugojana:

Hmmm...oversupply of colostrum? Interesting. Never heard of it. At least the docs won't push formula because the baby is not getting enough LOL

Quoting carinsmommy:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Yes, leaking colostrum (in any amount) is normal for some and not leaking is normal for others.
It seems like you had a massive oversupply with your first two. It tends to get worse with subsequent babies. Did they have issues with gassiness and spitting up? Oversupply can cause issues with the baby but can be managed. Do you need to be pumping or were you just pumping due to the oversupply?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carinsmommy
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:58 AM

With my first I didn't breast feed long. I was very young and didn't have the knowledge/support I needed. With #2 I breast fed for 18 months. The only issues we had with her was a fear of pyloric stenosis. She was power puking all the time starting around 3 weeks. The first thing we did was adjust my diet, no dairy at all, no caffine, etc. As soon as I did this she was just fine. Not even spitting up. As she got older I added things back to my diet and never had an issue.
I pumped until she was about 8 months and my supply finally matched up with her eating habbits. At first I was pumping just becuase I was so full. If I didn't pump I would be in serious pain. I know that you are supposed to rotate the baby to the other side 1/2 through a feeding, but I was never able to do that. By the time she would let go she was full. So I would pump the opposite side to relieve the pressure. Then I also pumped because I had to go back to work.
I ended up throwing out 30+ bags of milk after they had been in the freezer past their date because we never used it. We lived in such a small town there was no way to donate or sell it. I cried for a week thinking of all that milk just going to waste.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Yes, leaking colostrum (in any amount) is normal for some and not leaking is normal for others.
It seems like you had a massive oversupply with your first two. It tends to get worse with subsequent babies. Did they have issues with gassiness and spitting up? Oversupply can cause issues with the baby but can be managed. Do you need to be pumping or were you just pumping due to the oversupply?

carinsmommy
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:01 AM

My husband use to wake me up in the middle of the night. If I squished my chest in anyway I would leak milk every where. I can't tell you how many nights I woke up to change my clothes, and sheets. LOL! I got smart and put a matress pad under the top half of my sheets just to keep the matress dry.
My husband was misarable waking up wet for like 6 months or so. But at least I knew I had plenty of Milk! LOL! 

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Lol, I had this, fun stuff. I also had massive oversupply after baby was born and my milk came in. I completely saturated nursing pads til 9 months pp and then still had to wear washable pads til 15 months pp, when I got pregnant-since Ive been pregnant and nursing, I haven't leaked, until today, been almost 4 months.

Quoting carinsmommy:

carinsmommy
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:03 AM

At my first appointment they gave me tons of free samples. When the nurse offered me a bottle I told her we don't use those. She looked at me like I had three heads! My husband and I laughed the whole way home!

Quoting Analugojana:

Quoting carinsmommy:

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:07 AM
Lol, I know what you mean, I slept on a thick bath towel and leaked through my bras and PJs for a goid while, didnt wake me tho and DH worked a graveyard shift so nobody was bothered lol. The only thing that every woke me was pain of engorgement, hurt so bad!!!

Quoting carinsmommy:

My husband use to wake me up in the middle of the night. If I squished my chest in anyway I would leak milk every where. I can't tell you how many nights I woke up to change my clothes, and sheets. LOL! I got smart and put a matress pad under the top half of my sheets just to keep the matress dry.
My husband was misarable waking up wet for like 6 months or so. But at least I knew I had plenty of Milk! LOL! 

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Quoting carinsmommy:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN