Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pumping at work?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:36 PM
  • 8 Replies

I'm not even due until May 15, but I'm still trying to work out my whole BFing plan. During my 6 weeks home I plan to feed on demand, but will have to start pumping once I return.

Currently in my office, there are no spaces where I could go and pump. I have a cubicle so I can't shut the door or block out any windows. Our conference room is used almost all the time, we don't even have a closet.

Basically that leaves me with the option of the bathroom (smells like sewage 99% of the time) or I guess my car. 

How long do your pumping sessions usually last? How do you work it out?

Has anyone sucessfully trained their bodies to not need to pump while they are at work, and just feed on demand/pump while you are at home?

by on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Thunderbug75
by Amanda on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I pump two or three times a day at work depending on DS's nursing schedule.  It takes me about 15-20 min each time.  I am lucky enough to have several nursing rooms available for my use.

From what I have read here on Cafe Moms, if your company employs more than 50 people they have to provide you with a place to nurse.  Also the area can not be a bathroom.   Good luck! 

smorgan865
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:47 PM

We have about 17 employees. Very small company. 

Quoting Thunderbug75:

From what I have read here on Cafe Moms, if your company employs more than 50 people they have to provide you with a place to nurse.  Also the area can not be a bathroom.   Good luck! 

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:51 PM
I pumped every 3 hrs @ work. As posted above you must be provided a sanitary space to pump if your company employs 50+ people. Otherwise, I would just pump in your cubicle with a nursing cover or blanket draped over. you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Thunderbug75
by Amanda on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Have you spoken to your supervisor?  Maybe something can be worked out and a place could be found.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Apr. 8, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Oh and my sessions were 15 minutes each. I worked in a nursery, wore a homemade pumping tank and used the hands-free medela freestyle pump, clipped to my pants, wore a thin oversize shirt over top and walked around doing many other tasks while pumping.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:21 AM
What do you do for breaks? Either pump there in your cubicle or find somewhere else to go. Your car might work. You really only need about 15 minutes to pump. You could get a few sets of funnels and tubing and use a clean one for each pump session and wash them all at home. That will save you time on your breaks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:21 AM

I was pumping in the days before legal protection, and yes, I was using a bathroom. But ours was so ridiculously clean it made my kitchen look like a garbage dump! (Ah, the dotcom days. I do miss them.)

Talk with your supervisor to see what accommodations can be made. 

I pumped for exactly 15 minutes setup to teardown three times a day. Never washed a thing at work; tossed the dirties in a plastic bag. Sat on the side of the tub (the "office" was in a mansion's three-room guest house... with daily maid service!), did my thing, popped the bottles in the fridge.

If there's any space, maybe you can set up a screen arrangement. It won't shield the sound but it's not as if they won't all know what's going on anyway.

hello_kitty25
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:23 AM
I work on a boat, and I have no place for breaks, lunch, or pumping. I clean the restroom myself so Its cleeeaaan and pump sitting on a stool in there. 10 months going and its not so bad
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)