Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Umbilical hernia?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:52 PM
  • 11 Replies

Mobile Photo

Im pretty sure my 6 week old is developing an umbilical hernia. Im taking her to the doc tomorrow. Ive looked up alot about it and they say it can go away at ages 2-3 sometimes til age 5. Has anyone elses LO had one? And what was done about it? Im just curious if she does have to have surgery is it going to be too hard to BF? I am not willing to stop but i also dont want it to be painful for her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JenB1983
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM
That's a little one. :-) My DD(3 1/2 months) had one after birth. Omg was it gross. Lol it was about as big around as my thumb and stuck out about 3/4in, more when she would cry.

It's already just about fully corrected itself. Don't stress.
Gsanders1224
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Ahhh relief!! Lol. So it went away pretty quickly for yours huh?
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:28 PM

My daughter has a very small one.  I'm not even bothering taking her to the doctor, just going to watch it.

JenB1983
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Sure did.

It was NASTY. Lol. I brought it up at her 2 month appointment.....that's about the time it was biggest. I was told that as long as it pushed in easily, there was absolutely nothing to worry about.

Quoting Gsanders1224:

Ahhh relief!! Lol. So it went away pretty quickly for yours huh?

hapababies
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:32 PM
My son had a huge one and I thought it was never going to go away. It was so bad that it hurt him to be buckled in his car seat. It never turned colors so the pediatrician said to just keep an eye in it. She said if it didn't go away by the time he was 2, he would need surgery. It went away right about when he turned 9 months old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robibuni
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM

My YDD had a slight umbilical hernia. Hers went away by 6 months. When I discussed it with her pediatrician, he told me MOST will go away completely by 6 months.

austinsmama1106
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:56 PM
My oldest had one and it went away on its own.
EslingerCrew11
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:58 PM
My now 5 1/2 yo had one. Went away on its own by one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pell-Mel
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Same here - we noticed it on our son not long after his birth. He is nearly 3 months old now and it has gone down considerably. It does take time, but be patient and try not to stress.

Ms.Pteranodon
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Mobile Photo

Here's Derek's the doctor said it is nothing to worry about as long as you can push it. He said it will probably correct itself
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)