Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is this possible?!

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM
  • 21 Replies

So YDD had a dental appt today to discuss her tooth decay in her two front teeth. (I made a post about this yesterday in regards to lip tie)

She told me that it was infact, decay. That really upset me. She asked me if she had a bottle at night. I told her she may nurse at night sometimes. She was like "Chances are, the breastmilk is staying on her teeth at night and slowly decaying. You can see the decay starts in the back of the teeth and works its way around her front teeth"

So basically, she's telling me to night wean. DD is only 13 months and I'm not sure if she's ready or not. She doesn't nurse at night everynight, just maybe two or three days a week? And it's maybe once or twice in the middle of the night when/if she stirs and wakes up.

Ultimately though, I'm not 100% sure I trust the dentist. Is it even possible for breastmilk to cause this kind of tooth decay? The hygenist at first told me usually "bottle rot" and such occurs in between teeth, and her decay is at the bottom of her teeth. Should I get a second opinion?

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I owuld look into other things before nightweaning. I have heard lots of resources indicating that breastmilk is not the cause.

Before consitdering night weaning, Essential oils, and not giving sweets or juice. There are even dentist that do other types of deep cleaning to help heal the teeth and gums. (my friends did this with her 4 yr old who had tooth decay and it actually helped! heal those teeth!)

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:05 PM
http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/tooth-decay/

According to this, no.
robibuni
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Well she won't take a sippy at all so she doesn't get juice. The only other liquid she drinks is water when she has some from a cup that I hold for her. Even then it's just sips.

We don't really keep sweets in the house, though she may on occassion get half a cookie or something. I'm just so confused and upset.

Quoting Precious333:

I owuld look into other things before nightweaning. I have heard lots of resources indicating that breastmilk is not the cause.

Before consitdering night weaning, Essential oils, and not giving sweets or juice. There are even dentist that do other types of deep cleaning to help heal the teeth and gums. (my friends did this with her 4 yr old who had tooth decay and it actually helped! heal those teeth!)

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:09 PM

hugs mama, maybe seek a second opinion than. Are they goingt o do any work on it? Did they show it to you? Sometimes its just genetics as well. 

Quoting robibuni:

Well she won't take a sippy at all so she doesn't get juice. The only other liquid she drinks is water when she has some from a cup that I hold for her. Even then it's just sips.

We don't really keep sweets in the house, though she may on occassion get half a cookie or something. I'm just so confused and upset.

Quoting Precious333:

robibuni
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Well, she basically told me that we can wait until she's a few months older (like, say in 6 months), and do two little root canals on her front teeth, and put "strip caps" on her teeth. She said they would wrap around her tooth so the back was protected as well. For now, she said we can come back in 3 months and she would put some flouride and varnish on the teeth to protect them. She says they'll have to sedate her and are talking about an IV anesthesia and I'm freaked out by that.

She said in the meantime, between now and the appt to put the varnish and flouride on her teeth, we should be brushing with a flouride toothpaste before bed, and when she goes to sleep, to wipe her teeth down so the breastmilk doesn't stay on them, and to cut down on night nursing as much as possible.

Quoting Precious333:

hugs mama, maybe seek a second opinion than. Are they goingt o do any work on it? Did they show it to you? Sometimes its just genetics as well. 

Quoting robibuni:

Quoting Precious333:

OBImomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:17 PM
My ds dentist said that wiping the milk out of baby's mouth after night nursing helps keep the teeth healthy. He said nursing is best for baby and that he can fix the teeth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Glowing4Caleb
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I think i would get a second opinion. Especially since they are talking root canal. Not that she might not need it, but for a procedure like that on a 13 month old (well,19 month old when it is time) I would want a second opinion anyways. I dont think an occasional nighttime nursing session would cause tooth decay to that extreme. I am lucky to remember to brush my 14 month old's teeth once a day...which I know isn't good, but his teeth are fine. I think there may be some hidden causes that I would want to discover before night weening if the baby isn't ready.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I would definitely seek a second opinion! My friend went to several different dentists, and some are so quick to doing unnecessary treatments (they want to make money basically). 

Quoting robibuni:

Well, she basically told me that we can wait until she's a few months older (like, say in 6 months), and do two little root canals on her front teeth, and put "strip caps" on her teeth. She said they would wrap around her tooth so the back was protected as well. For now, she said we can come back in 3 months and she would put some flouride and varnish on the teeth to protect them. She says they'll have to sedate her and are talking about an IV anesthesia and I'm freaked out by that.

She said in the meantime, between now and the appt to put the varnish and flouride on her teeth, we should be brushing with a flouride toothpaste before bed, and when she goes to sleep, to wipe her teeth down so the breastmilk doesn't stay on them, and to cut down on night nursing as much as possible.

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting robibuni:

Quoting Precious333:

robibuni
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Exactly. I mean, we brush her teeth typically before bed but sometimes I don't always remember to in the mornings. Same thing when ODD was this age and now at nearly 4, she brushes everyday, but she has perfect teeth with NO cavities. 

The hygenist told me if it were "bottle rot" type of decay, the decay shows first between teeth, not on the bottoms of teeth. She said she thinks it's something else, and then the dentist comes in saying she thinks I need to cut down on nighttime nursing and wipe down her teeth? Doesn't add up to me.

Quoting Glowing4Caleb:

I think i would get a second opinion. Especially since they are talking root canal. Not that she might not need it, but for a procedure like that on a 13 month old (well,19 month old when it is time) I would want a second opinion anyways. I dont think an occasional nighttime nursing session would cause tooth decay to that extreme. I am lucky to remember to brush my 14 month old's teeth once a day...which I know isn't good, but his teeth are fine. I think there may be some hidden causes that I would want to discover before night weening if the baby isn't ready.

robibuni
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 2:34 PM

See, I googled "bottle rot" on google, and all these dental sites are saying a lot of parents don't realize until it's too late, and laid babies down in the crib with bottles, or slept in bed with nursing babies, thus causing the problems.

Quoting Junebaby18:

http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/tooth-decay/

According to this, no.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)