Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

i believe its time

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:10 PM
  • 9 Replies
I believe its time to wean dd from nursing. The whole house has bronchitus, even dd shes having difficult nursing, and hers is getting worse, she has an app at 330 today. Ive spent the last 17 months not getting a full nights sleep,or even half a nights sleep. She started sleeping better and well i got sick im only a little beter and now shes worse so im up all night with her now. Getting her to nurse is difficult because she cant breath. So maybe moving her to a cup can help us get some sleep after the house gets over this bug, and maybe it can keepher hydrated.

Or am i just being selfish? I believe her nursing is draining me of energy. I keep getting sick, which ive never had issues with before. But now im fighting sickness every few weeks. We just changed dr offices and do not currently have a main dr. Thanks to the office we were using for making poor decisions. Our bronchitus she called an allergy cough with fever! I knew better and got a second opinion.

Would stoping nursing help my body stay healthy?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MalakbelLacuna
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I dont think so, but I may be completely wrong

sickness is an issue with your immune system and I dont think nursing is connected to it enough to MAKE you sick.

isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Breast feeding won't, but chronic fatigue WILL. You need some rest (easy to say I know). Lots of water and humidifier.

cowgirls10181
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Im drinking 4-8 20oz bottles a day. The vaprizer is always on, we have 2 and thinking of getting a third. So the constant tiredness could be a factor? Should i ask the dr about it when i take dd in? I dont want a relaps.

Quoting isaacsmommy68:

Breast feeding won't, but chronic fatigue WILL. You need some rest (easy to say I know). Lots of water and humidifier.

jessi2girls
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:42 PM

No nursing isn't effecting it.. however the lack of sleep and possibly your own diet can effect it..

You are welcome ot start using a cup.. by a year old normally a cup with meals is normal while nursing at other times... 

bronchitis and allergies do go together far more closely than one might thing.. and one can trigger the other at times. google it when you have a minute.. 

HunnyBabie
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I don't think you're being selfish.  You're feeling drained b/c you're processing food for her as well as yourself.  You need your energy to be able to take care of her and the rest of your household.

I had to stop nursing my middle two (of four) when they were 6 and 4 mos b/c I couldn't produce milk, take care of two and then three toddlers and keep the house running and...  You get the picture.  I felt better physically when I stopped nursing them; I think that, if I'd had a little more help from family, I probably could have nursed them for a while longer, but in the absence of that, I felt like I had to wean. :(

17 mos is a long time! :-)

It's a hard decision to make at any age (my youngest was 15 mos and it took an overnight hospital stay for me to wean him).   (((hugs)))

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Not selfish by any means. But to stop nursing means dropping one feeding every few days at the outmost, no stopping altogether or you could set yourself up for a case of mastitis that makes the bronchitis look like the sniffles.

You also should be warned. Weaning and sleeping are separate issues. One does not lead to the other... in fact, the former can lead to less of the latter! (Darn it all anyway!)

Bronchitis does tend to hang about and continuing tpo breastfeed her is probably keeping it from becoming an even more serious case. Did the doc put you on any antibiotics? Because that will be needed. Mucinex can break up the congestion. too. And it's safe while nursing.

Another warning. Once you've had bronchitis, it does tend to come back rather easily. I have the problem myself.

mamabens
by Miranda on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:50 PM

This!Quoting gdiamante:

Not selfish by any means. But to stop nursing means dropping one feeding every few days at the outmost, no stopping altogether or you could set yourself up for a case of mastitis that makes the bronchitis look like the sniffles.

You also should be warned. Weaning and sleeping are separate issues. One does not lead to the other... in fact, the former can lead to less of the latter! (Darn it all anyway!)

Bronchitis does tend to hang about and continuing tpo breastfeed her is probably keeping it from becoming an even more serious case. Did the doc put you on any antibiotics? Because that will be needed. Mucinex can break up the congestion. too. And it's safe while nursing.

Another warning. Once you've had bronchitis, it does tend to come back rather easily. I have the problem myself.

BabyFruit Ticker

cowgirls10181
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:53 PM
I had mast, when dd was 4 months. also had a racing pulse, and high bp. I hate being sick. I had bronchitus before ma said i was 3 or 4. And took forever for me to get over it.

I know stoping bf wont cure the night sleep but could help because then hubby can get up with her too, but im sure thats not actually going to happen. We are on antibiotics and musinex. The whole house, along with a few of us are on albuiteral? In the nebulizers. Thanks to the weezing.

Quoting gdiamante:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting cowgirls10181:

I had mast, when dd was 4 months. also had a racing pulse, and high bp. I hate being sick. I had bronchitus before ma said i was 3 or 4. And took forever for me to get over it.
Yikes. Bronchitis is absolutely no fun.
I know stoping bf wont cure the night sleep but could help because then hubby can get up with her too, but im sure thats not actually going to happen.
Heh heh! Cold toes applied to the backside can help!
We are on antibiotics and musinex. The whole house, along with a few of us are on albuiteral? In the nebulizers. Thanks to the weezing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN