Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How much?

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:51 PM
  • 6 Replies
I'm eping, since my daughter isn't able to latch on. I've been told that she only needs 3 oz of breastmilk each feeding, but she seems to want between 4-5 most if her feedings. Am I over feeding her if I let her have that much? She's almost 7 weeks old.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Pell-Mel
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 3:57 PM

I am not an expert or health professional, but can tell you my own experience. I have an 11 week old boy. My husband would give him a bottle of my pumped milk here are there when I was out or too sore to feed him off my breast. By 3 weeks, he was wanting 4 oz of pumped milk. I believe it was a growth spurt. He has gotten great reports from Dr. visits - growing well and healthy. My thoughts... if your child is hungry, by all means feed her! Again, just my 2 cents...

HunnyBabie
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I can only tell you about my experience.  I nursed all four of my children on demand (weaning at various ages) and they have always been very healthy and strong.  I've never heard of only feeding them a specific amount; I've always heard they'll eat at least x oz.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:12 PM
2 moms liked this

The point of feeding a limited amount is more specific to babies who are nursed when mom is there, bottle fed when mom is not. The point there is to make the bottle much less desirable because you make it hard work for little return. The bottle is the slice of wheat toast you grab on the way out the door, the breast is the Dennys Grand Slam Breakfast, you know?

Baby's daily need is 24-30 ounces. For exclusive pumping, mom's choice on how to divvy that up.

wintersdaughter
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Thank you, I was partly curious, because at the NICU they would limit how much she ate, of course she has been home for over a month now, so I wasn't sure.  My other kids were either completely formula fed (my oldest DD) or EBF (where they never had a bottle).  I never thought that I'd have so many new experiences with my fourth baby.

Quoting gdiamante:

The point of feeding a limited amount is more specific to babies who are nursed when mom is there, bottle fed when mom is not. The point there is to make the bottle much less desirable because you make it hard work for little return. The bottle is the slice of wheat toast you grab on the way out the door, the breast is the Dennys Grand Slam Breakfast, you know?

Baby's daily need is 24-30 ounces. For exclusive pumping, mom's choice on how to divvy that up.

Mommy to Aeneas Rachel, Tobias Alexander,  Alistair Brian, and Cortana Rose!

KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:00 PM
The issue is eventually it gets hard to pump as much. If you increase the amount baby gets eventually it becomes overwhelming to keep up and you'll end up needing to supplement with donor milk or formula.

HOW MUCH MILK PER BOTTLE?

Moms may find it surprising that the breastfed baby often takes less milk in the bottle than formula babies take in. This is because breastmilk is so well utilized by the baby’s body that less is needed. Since breastmilk is so easily and completely digested, the breastfed baby needs to eat more often, but they don’t need as much per bottle.

When a baby is nursed from the breast, research shows us that baby will vary their intake of milk from feeding to feeding, and the length of time at the breast doesn’t always correlate with the amount of milk taken from the breast. Overall, the average bf baby takes in between 19 and 30 oz (or 570 – 900 mL) per day (24 hrs), but the amount taken per bottle may vary somewhat from feeding to feeding, just as it does at the breast, depending on baby’s need at the time.

” According to the most current breastfeeding research, exclusively breastfed babies take in an average of 25 oz (750 mL) per day between the ages of 1 month and 6 months. This may vary a little from baby to baby, but the average range of milk intake is 19-30 oz per day (570-900 mL per day).

To estimate the average amount of milk baby will need at a feeding:

Estimate the number of times that baby nurses per day (24 hours). Then divide 25 oz by the number of nursings.

This gives you a “ballpark” figure for the amount of expressed milk your exclusively breastfed baby will need at one feeding.

Example: If baby usually nurses around 8 times per day, you can guess that baby might need around 3 ounces per feeding every 3 hours when mom is away. (25/8=3.1).

NOTE: Current breastfeeding research does not indicate that breastmilk intake changes with baby’s age or weight between one and six months.”

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/exclusive-pumping/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 12:09 AM
If you are at all interested, kellymom.com has information on how to get a baby back to breast. Also, there is an EP group on CafeMOM.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)