Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding Committee

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:18 PM
  • 5 Replies

In our first meeting today, someone was referencing the 1 diaper per day of life.  She said that pee diapers aren't a good indication of intake due to the fact that babies diurese after delivery because of iv fluids from mom.  Is that true?

Also, another nurse said that all babies diurese on day 3.  Is that true?

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Never heard the term diurese before?

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:25 PM
They also told me he needed to poop within 24 hours too and after that they wanted 2 quarter size poops a day. I always heard the pee is hydration and poop meant enough calories in the beginning. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaToCollin
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

Sorry.  It's like getting rid of extra fluid by peeing a lot.  I hope that makes sense!

MamaToCollin
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

They also told me he needed to poop within 24 hours too and after that they wanted 2 quarter size poops a day. I always heard the pee is hydration and poop meant enough calories in the beginning. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The pooping early part is good to get rid of all the meconium.  I've never heard that about the hydration and calorie thing, though.  Maybe someone else might.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Sure does. And it's one of the reasons why babies lose so much of their birth weight in the first week. I hadn't heard three days before, but that makes sense. Most babies are discharged before the three day mark, and then you don't see another weight till one week.

Quoting MamaToCollin:

Quoting gdiamante:

Sorry.  It's like getting rid of extra fluid by peeing a lot.  I hope that makes sense!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)