Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

lemon balm and passionflower??

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:02 PM
  • 6 Replies

can someone help please... I cant find info on it. 

is it safe to take lemon balm while nursing? what about passionflower?

I went to my local herb store and asked what herbs would be safe while breastfeeding and that is what she reccomended, she said she didnt think valerian root was safe (which is what i used to take before i got pregnant) valerian root I know is an L3 but i'm scared of taking it.

anyone have any experience with passionflower? it seems like lemon balm would be safe, since it is in gripe water, but then I read it could lower your supply? 

____________________________________________________________________________________

Non-vaccinating, breastfeeding/mixfeeding with an SNS, babywearing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, instinctive parenting, anti-CIO,  crunchy momma of one happy little baby boy. :)

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Zazayam
by Nicki on Apr. 9, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I've heard lemon balm does reduce supply and passion flower is an all around no-no. Did you look on Kellymom?

LucyHourglass
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:08 PM

i did. *sigh* maybe the lemon balm wouldnt be the worst, ive been trying to wean him anyways (i really need to take my valerian) he wont take a bottle so im trying to get him to take a sippy...its not going so well. 

Quoting Zazayam:

I've heard lemon balm does reduce supply and passion flower is an all around no-no. Did you look on Kellymom?

____________________________________________________________________________________

Non-vaccinating, breastfeeding/mixfeeding with an SNS, babywearing, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, instinctive parenting, anti-CIO,  crunchy momma of one happy little baby boy. :)

Zazayam
by Nicki on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:10 PM

I had really good luck with a cup + straw...

Quoting LucyHourglass:

i did. *sigh* maybe the lemon balm wouldnt be the worst, ive been trying to wean him anyways (i really need to take my valerian) he wont take a bottle so im trying to get him to take a sippy...its not going so well. 

Quoting Zazayam:

LucyHourglass
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:16 PM

we just bought a straw one today. but hes not sucking on it. I am letting him play with it a little and hoping then he will learn. but he was just sorta putting it in his mouth, but then doing nothing. lol and then bit it a couple times. 

Quoting Zazayam:

I had really good luck with a cup + straw...

Quoting LucyHourglass:

Quoting Zazayam:

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Here's the kellymom entry on valerian root:

Valerian (valerian officinalis)

Valerian has been a popular calming and sleep-promoting agent for over 1,000 years. Several different sources consider this safe for use by breastfeeding moms. Side effects occur particularly with long-term use and include headaches (rare), heart palpitations (rare) and insomnia (rare). Monitor your baby for drowsiness. One caution: apparently it has a very strong (unpleasant) smell, even in capsule form, and it seems possible that the smell/flavor might transfer to your milk. If this happens, your baby might not like the taste.

According to Hale, valerian root toxicity appears to be low, with only minor side effects reported. No data are available on the transfer of valerian root compounds into breastmilk, and no pediatric concerns have been reported. However, the use of sedatives in breastfeeding mothers is generally discouraged, due to a possible increased risk of SIDS.

Some components display cytotoxic and mutagenic activity in vitro. Although these effects have not been reproduced in vivo even at high doses (1350 mg/kg), valerian probably should not be used by pregnant women. Valerian should not be taken with other sedatives or before driving or in other situations when alertness is required.

More info can be found in here and here.

[top]

Disclaimer: Most herbal treatments have not been thoroughly researched, particularly in regard to lactation. Herbs are drugs, and some caution is necessary. I am presenting this data as is, without any warranty of any kind, express or implied, and am not liable for its accuracy nor for any loss or damage caused by a user's reliance on this information.

Page last modified: 03/03/2005 
Written: 7/23/1998

gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Lemon balm is off limits. No clue on the passion flower.But I'd take the valerian root.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)