Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Scabbed up nipples that hurt like hell!

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:42 PM
  • 3 Replies

My daughter is 3 days old and has been sucking non-stop.  My milk came in today.  My nipples are cracked and have scabs up and down the center of them both.  Oh.My.God.  They hurt like nothing else whenever she latches.  What can I do?  I thought she had a good latch (she's my 3rd BF baby!).

husband and our girls graphics

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Meet with an IBCLC ASAP! Scabbed nipples are not good! Usually caused by a latch issue. I feel for you my last two had latch issues and I had scabs by day 3! I didn't get help with the older one, just fumbled through and finally get it right. Took a couple weeks though. With the youngest I got help on day three and was well on the way to healing by day five!

Congrats on baby!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:21 AM

If there are scabs it is NOT a good latch. You do need hands on help, and get baby checked for tongue tie.

CaitsCookies
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:51 AM
I had an issue on one side when my LO got to the point of trying to do gymnastics while nursing, exacerbated by her startle/curiosity reflex any time her older brother would stomp through the room for any reason. She already had a full mouth of teeth, and them scraping across the nipple made excruciating sores. They finally healed up with I started putting medicated blistex on after nursing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)