Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Stretching out feedings suddenly

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:48 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hi.  I am nursing my 3 month old son, and I feel like he is constantly changing what he wants in regards to feedings.  For the longest time he would eat every 2 hours (or 1 and 1/2 hours really, since each feeding took 30 minutes.  Now, all of the sudden he eats for 5 minutes, and is then done for the next 3-4 hours.  I'm GLAD that he is stretching his feedings out, but I think it is so strange...he used to empty both sides both times, and now he only eats well off of one side each feeding.  I'm wondering if this is normal.  Am I just producing more than he needs?  Is there something I should do differently?

by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Totally normal! You.have to consider growth spurts, and the fact that when baby demand more you will.make more, so your body could have caught up with his demand and now he probably doesnt need as much as before. I have been there.with all of my nurslings.....totally normal :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ellieb3
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Quoting Precious333:

Totally normal! You.have to consider growth spurts, and the fact that when baby demand more you will.make more, so your body could have caught up with his demand and now he probably doesnt need as much as before. I have been there.with all of my nurslings.....totally normal :-)

Thank you very much!  It is a relief to hear that from someone who has been there.  I feel like, with nursing, there are so many unknowns. 

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Yeah, raising kids in general there are, even now being pregnant with number four i feel lost at times lol

Quoting ellieb3:

Quoting Precious333:

Thank you very much!  It is a relief to hear that from someone who has been there.  I feel like, with nursing, there are so many unknowns. 

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Your sooo lucky! My bff's baby was like that, and then from about 7 months on she nursed about 4x a day (no solids until 9 months) AND slept through the night.

My sweet girl still nurses every 2 hours like her life depends on it at 7 months, and I suppose it does :). But at least most feedings are only about 5-10 minutes- longer only if its nap time or bedtime for comfort.
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Op my daughter doing the same thing so im glad you made this topic. Dd is 10 weeks and doing the same thing. She doesn't want to nurse every 2 hours, but every 3 or 4.
ellieb3
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I am feeling lucky, just hoping that he is getting enough food, but he must be since he seems satisfied after eating.   I had started a 'schedule' where he ate, played and slept , ate, played and slept, over and over every 2 hours.  Now I never know what to expect!  Sleep? Play? Rock?  It's a mystery every minute!   Every 2 hours for 7 months?  You are a saint!

Quoting mckinneymom918:

Your sooo lucky! My bff's baby was like that, and then from about 7 months on she nursed about 4x a day (no solids until 9 months) AND slept through the night.

My sweet girl still nurses every 2 hours like her life depends on it at 7 months, and I suppose it does :). But at least most feedings are only about 5-10 minutes- longer only if its nap time or bedtime for comfort.

ellieb3
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I'm glad to hear someone else is having that happen too!  It's been nagging at me how different it is, compared to how it had been.   

Quoting mama-smurf:

Op my daughter doing the same thing so im glad you made this topic. Dd is 10 weeks and doing the same thing. She doesn't want to nurse every 2 hours, but every 3 or 4.

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Haha! Nah, no saint here!

You'll get into a groove. He'll probably start more defined nap times soon too. Rather than cat naps.

Quoting ellieb3:

I am feeling lucky, just hoping that he is getting enough food, but he must be since he seems satisfied after eating.   I had started a 'schedule' where he ate, played and slept , ate, played and slept, over and over every 2 hours.  Now I never know what to expect!  Sleep? Play? Rock?  It's a mystery every minute!   Every 2 hours for 7 months?  You are a saint!

Quoting mckinneymom918:

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:13 AM
Just count diapers and if they are good then he is fine whatever his nursing schedule :)
KLetourneau
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:06 AM
Lucky!! Just over 3 months here and every 90 minutes with two of them!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)